Giant PSD Files

Hello, I start with my standard 34 MB raw file, do my ACR edits, open in photoshop, run a few actions which creates multiple layers, and then my PSD file ends up being 511 MB.  Am I doing something wrong?  These are GIGANTIC.   If I flatten my image, they go down to 79 MB, which is still so big, and then I can't go back and make changes.

Thanks so much!

First of all, the size of the raw file never correlates to the size of the Photoshop file.  If a flattened image is about 79MB, then we know that 79MB is the true size of each pixel layer in your file.

And if your stupid actions add more pixel layers, they're adding another 79MB each time.

Adjustment layers and masks add less size, but it still adds up.  511MB is very normal.

Just to check, are you working in 8-bit?

For example, one action duplicates the background copy, sets the layer to "screen" and adds a layer mask and allows you to lighten certain areas of the image to create an artistic effect (that I quite like).  

Yep.  That's exactly the kind of stupid shit actions do.

You don't need to duplicate the Background layer for that.  Just add an adjustment layer (eg Levels or whatever, it doesn't matter) and change it to Screen mode.  It does the same thing, with MUCH smaller file size.