Composite Printing

Hi all - Hope you can help me. I've been asked to create custom artwork for our high school that will feature athletes from the fall sports season.  The dimensions of the artwork will be 12' x 4' - I've never created anything of this size before, so I want to be sure that I print it correctly, as it would be costly if I made a mistake. If someone could please advise me on dpi, etc. I'd greatly appreciate it!

- I have photoshop CS5

- The artwork will be photographs (one image for each sport, so 9 images (extractions) in total); hasn't been decided yet if there will be other design elements - I'm guessing it's possible

- I've been using Signs365 for banners, etc. that I've done in the past and have had a great experience with them; however, I'm open to using another vendor

9 minutes ago, knlpix said:

- I have photoshop CS5

Fantastic!

9 minutes ago, knlpix said:

- The artwork will be photographs (one image for each sport, so 9 images (extractions) in total); hasn't been decided yet if there will be other design elements - I'm guessing it's possible

Ok, fair enough.  And are you taking the photos, or will they be supplied to you from other people?

10 minutes ago, knlpix said:

- I've been using Signs365 for banners, etc. that I've done in the past and have had a great experience with them; however, I'm open to using another vendor

No need to change a good thing :)  Ok, you'll need to talk to them and get their artwork specifications.  Most places can send you a PDF.  It will tell you about PPI, CMYK, etc, etc.

So contact them (or just browse their website, it might be there) and let me know what you find out.

The images they're using are mine; I'll look on Signs365's website tomorrow to find out specifications and will let you know - headed to dreamland now - have a good night and thanks for answering my questions so quickly!

• Like 1

Good morning :

Here's the info from Signs365:

- Create art full scale

- Recommended DPI 150-300

- RGB and CMYK are acceptable

- JPEG/PDF/TIFF/EPS are acceptable file formats

- Fonts are to be flattened or converted to curves

Great!!!

So you'll create your document at 144x48 inches, at 150ppi, in RGB mode, and the sRGB colour space.

5 hours ago, knlpix said:

- JPEG/PDF/TIFF/EPS are acceptable file formats

Your choice here will depend whether there ends up being text or logos or any linework in your design.  If it has those things, you'll use PDF.  If it's only photos, you'll use jpeg.

Important information about PDFs here: https://www.damiensymonds.net/2010/05/making-pdfs-from-photoshop.html

5 hours ago, knlpix said:

- Fonts are to be flattened or converted to curves

You don't need to worry about this.  The act of saving as a PDF does this automatically.

Needless to say, please write to me again any time you need help.

Hi Damien - hope you can help me; this is a continuation to the above thread; the file I created is saved as a .psb and it does contain text. However, I want to send a proof to the client and wanted to save a low-resolution file but the only options I see when I try to save it are .pbs, .raw, or .tif. I imagine it's something I've done or haven't done on my end. Any insight is helpful - thanks!

Kathy

Go to Image>Image Size.  When that window opens, make sure the "Resample image" box is checked, as well as the "Constrain Proportions" one.  Then at the top of the window change the width to 2000 pixels (the height will change by itself).  Then press OK.  That's all there is to it.

I'm definitely going to be enrolling in some of your classes - I primarily shoot sports, so can you suggest which classes you think would benefit me - I'm definitely going to take your class on Camera Raw - I use that 90% of the time to sharpen, batch resize, etc. - thanks!

Hi Damien - I have finally gotten approval for this banner to be printed; however, when I attempt to upload it to the site that will be printing it, I get an error message that reads "Image size exceeds file size limit of 150MB" - any assistance is greatly appreciated!