Setting up Second hand desktop....A dilemma

Gingersnaps

Hi Brian, I was given an imac (21.5 inch, I know it’s not the best model, but it’s a starting point), by a friend last week, but we are having trouble resetting it to factory settings. She has signed out of icloud and removed all of her files, when I check the storage on the computer, it says there is 977gb available out of 1TB, nearly all of the used space is used by documents. The problem is when we start it in recovery mode and get to the point of erasing the hard drive, it says there is 517gb used space on the hard drive. We’re scared to erase this drive, in case it is connected to her new imac, which has around that amount of space used. But we can’t see how the two would be connected, why is it saying all this space is used on the hard drive, when there’s nothing stored on the computer? Thanks in advance!

Well, just because she signed out of iCloud, doesn't mean that the files that were stored locally on the HD have disappeared. So you probably are looking at duplicated files. If you are that concerned, simply do a Time Machine Backup on a Fresh EHD of the 21.5" iMac and when that completes, eject and disconnect it. Then boot into recovery mode and I would format that HD and reload the Operating System. If it comes down to it, and those files turn out to be needed, you can always restore from that TM backup.

As for what is in that used space? Beats me. I'd physically have to login and poke around. Your guess is as good as mine.

thanks for the reply Brian, we will get onto this as soon as possible.

your expertise were what we needed as we were baffled, and knew out was a question for you. We will let you know how we go as soon as the problem as I have an EHD for this new computer and the problem is tackled 

If you need help setting up a new EHD, I can provide assistance. Do not spend extra for a “Mac Formatted” HD. This is the “Apple Tax” that manufactures put on their Mac Products. They know that people are willing to pay more for Apple’s products and will add, usually $30, to the cost of a “Mac Compatible” EHD. 

This is pure BS. 

ANY external drive should work. All that is required is about 5 min of your time to format and participation your new HD; no special software needed, it’s built into the OS. 

Thanks Brian I will use that assistance when I get the hard drive, but I’m pretty sure I have the other two set up ok that I’m using with my photos on my MacBook, but will liaise with you on this one so I know it’s done properly, cheers 

• Like 1

so there is no way that the files on this computer would be shared with her other computer?

so if I erased the disk it would not do anything too her files on her new computer, they aren't connected in anyway via wifi or anything, I'm not very smart lol

The easy answer: Pick a format and stick with it. Macintosh OR Windows.

Long Answer: By default, a Macintosh will READ a Windows drive with zero problems, but WILL NOT WRITE TO A WINDOWS DRIVE. This makes it easier for people to switch from Windows to a Mac and is done intentionally.

When you go back-and-forth between the two worlds is where things get complicated. You will need special translation software to write to a Windows Format, or have special software installed on your Windows Computer in order to read the Macintosh Format. There is also another partition format called exFAT, but that method isn't 100% fool-proof and I don't recommend it for the general users here. Hell, even * I * don't use it. 

Of course, if you have two Macs at your disposal, then going back and forth is pretty standard. You could also use a Cloud Service like Dropbox or OneDrive, but that method isn't 100% guaranteed either. Often when you save from your Mac, a Windows computer will give you some sort of error message when you try opening the files.

8 hours ago, Gingersnaps said:

if I erased the disk it would not do anything too her files on her new computer, they aren't connected in anyway via wifi or anything, I'm not very smart

I mis-read your statement. As long as you have signed out of iCloud and even went as far as removing her profile from the Computer, it shouldn't affect anything on her computer. iCloud also has a habit of backing up data, which usually results in people getting error message that their "iCloud is Full." So I think you should be fine.

6 hours ago, Brian said:

I mis-read your statement. As long as you have signed out of iCloud and even went as far as removing her profile from the Computer, it shouldn't affect anything on her computer. iCloud also has a habit of backing up data, which usually results in people getting error message that their "iCloud is Full." So I think you should be fine.

thanks Brian, 

that makes us a little more comfortable. hopefully it works. ??

and thanks for the other info, I love learning new things!