Dell UltraSharp vs non-UltraSharp

Elliot

Hi Brian,

This Dell monitor is not branded as UltraSharp: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-32-led-curved-qhd-freesync-monitor-with-hdr-displayport-hdmi-usb/6375331.p?skuId=6375331. What is the exact specification that makes one monitor "ultra sharp" and another not. It's ok, I'm a technical person. Should I give this one a pass and stick to the "UltaSharp" branded monitors? And 2k is ok, but we should not bother with 4k?

Also, what's "VA" technology? The spec says 178 degrees viewing angle. Is this a form of IPS?

Thanks!

SKIP IT!! 

That VA panel is meant for video games. For the “display panel type” it will say IPS. Not TN, not VA. 

VA Display Panels give you a similar viewing angle as IPS, but with the quick refresh rates of TN. So it falls in the middle between IPS and TN. As I mentioned above, that 32” Curved VA monitor is meant for First Person Shooter Video Games. 

As far as the Ultrasharp, yes...it’s better to get that line of Dell Displays. Here is one I would buy:

Dell Ultrasharp U2719DX 27-Inch WQHD 2560x1440 Resolution IPS Monitor with Infinity Edge Bezels, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KGR784M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_C2x4FbHCKCG44

• Like 1

The only difference between the -D and the -DX is the included cable, correct? Currently, the -DX is US$50 more than the -D and has a HDMI cable. The -D has a DisplayPort cable. I can get an HDMI cable for a lot less than $50. Can you corroborate this? Thanks.

What video ports do you have on your computer? DisplayPort is the future. DisplayPort is better when it comes to 4K Displays. If you have a DisplayPort on the back of your computer, you can get a DP to HDMI cable.

That said, DO NOT BUY CABLES FROM PLACES LIKE BEST BUY!! They are extremely overpriced for what you get. I buy my cables from Monoprice.com. That $50 cable you will see at Best Buy, is probably $12 at Monoprice! Or less. 

As for the difference, hang on...need to look at it from my computer and not my phone. 

OK. Yes...the main difference between the -D and -DX is the -D is the DisplayPort version and the -DX is the HDMI version. There is a 3rd option, the -DC, is meant for computers/laptops with a USB-C / Thunderbolt port. Most Windows users probably won't fall into the third category. 

As for which one to get? It really depends on what type of ports your computer has. Going forward, DisplayPort will be the standard. You can convert a DisplayPort that's on your computer to HDMI, but not the other way around. Make sense? So if your computer has a HDMI port and you buy the DisplayPort version, you can't go from HDMI to DP. BUT you can go from DP to HDMI. or DP to VGA or DP to DVI-D. There are all sorts of cables that go from DP to another type of port; DisplayPort is quite flexible with your options since DisplayPort is "Open Source" which means that it's also "Royalty Free." That's why the DisplayPort version is cheaper, the Manufacturer doesn't have to pay a Royalty Fee to the company/individual who owns the Patent for HDMI.

So you could get the -DX version and use the included HDMI cable. Or if your computer has a DP, I'd get that version. Dell Monitors are nice like that, they usually include cables. Again, it all depends on WHAT your computer has, or the computer that you will buy in the future.

How do you tell?

HDMI is on the left and DisplayPort is on the right:

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 8.19.38 PM.png

Source of image: RTINGs.com

Also from that web page:

HDMI is technically superior thanks to the recent release of HDMI 2.1, which surpasses the capabilities of DisplayPort 1.4, but no 2.1 monitors have been announced. When comparing DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort is superior. DisplayPort 2.0 has been announced, and it has a higher maximum bandwidth than HDMI 2.1. As of 08/08/2019, no DisplayPort 2.0 devices have been announced though, and it may be some time before anything new is released that supports it.

I'm pretty sure that most people have heard about the new Xbox One Series X and PlayStation 5 game consoles. There is buzz with HDMI 2.1 as that has enough bandwidth to support 120MHz refresh rates, which is great for video games. (Well, some of them.) So it's getting all the attention, and might make some think about sticking with HDMI. This is "fine," because you have to keep in mind, you are probably editing still-photos if you are asking questions here; please don't get caught up in the hype as you will not take advantage of the current "Bells & Whistles" that HDMI 2.0 provides. Heck, the same can be said about DisplayPort 2.0! ;)That said, DisplayPort 2.0 hasn't been released yet. When it does, it will become the new "IT Girl" and all the articles and hype will be about DP 2.0.

Bottom Line: As for which one to get, if your computer has a DisplayPort Port...go that route. If it doesn't, the safer bet would be to get the HDMI version and if you have to, buy a DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter from Monoprice.com ($13.99) in the future, so-be-it.

From what I have read, the -D and the -DX are exactly the same thing. Both have a HDMI port and a DP port. The only difference is which cable comes in the box. The difference in price on Amazon right now is $40. The price on the Dell page is much more. I'm going to pull the trigger.

My current systems both have HDMI outputs. I have a bunch of HDMI cables that I bought from Monoprice or Amazon Basics.

Thank you for the help.

• Thanks 1

Oh, one other thing I'd like to add...

Take those reviews with a "Grain of Salt." You are editing photos and chances are, your screen will be kept on the dim side in order to match your prints. So you won't have to deal with the "Blooming" and that sort of thing, because you won't be pushing your monitor to be so bright like in those photos.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I was a wondering a little bit. I do calibrate. Although I have read here that my i1 Display Pro from 2013 may be getting old (have I been taking Damien's classes for that long??).