New laptop calibration/prints question.

Hi Damien.

I’m buying a new laptop today ( an asus vivo book, 16gb, 512gb, IPS display ) 

How do I go about calibration? Do I order some more test prints with the new laptop before I calibrate ( without changing any brightness settings, or should I change them? )  or use the test prints I ordered that I used from my old laptop a couple of years ago. 

Thank you ? 

Ok thanks! I was also thinking of switching labs ( the one I used, I seen him add a curves layer to brighten the image before he printed it ? he said his printer prints darker so he needs to brighten them ) would I need new test prints if I was to switch? 

Hi Damien. 

I ordered the same set of prints from 2 different labs. One set are a close match to my current laptop & the other set are very saturated. Which has made me think I need to offer my clients prints instead of just digitals. 

Anyway, what is the best way to transfer those images from my current laptop to my new one so I can calibrate the screen? Would a USB transfer, email or pixieset upload either of those be ok? 

Hey Damien. Can I please ask, does the brightness look ok? I’ve redone my old laptop because it was due for calibration & I noticed my prints were a bit darker. I can’t work out if my prints are just more contrasted/more blacks or if it’s a brightness issue? I lowered my brightness right down to like 10-15 but when I calibrated it was saying 40 so I kept upping the brightness until it hit 88. I have decent light around my computer. Is there a contrast setting I need to adjust? I won’t be using this laptop soon but I have some work I need to finish on here before using my new one.

No I don’t ☹️ I will calibrate my new laptop & see how they compare. This one is 5 years old & I don’t know if it’s an iPs screen. Colours look the same, I think it’s just the contrast which I don’t think I can adjust. 

The contrast issue must of just been my old screen. New laptop is pretty much bang on ( I had to adjust the white point to 6500 ) but I wish the entire population would calibrate their screen.  So much better!

• Like 1