Gradient tool

Let's say I'm using the radial gradient, and I click in the middle of the image and drag outwards, depending on how far I drag the mouse the bigger the circle. The question is - Sometimes when I make a large circle and then realize I want to make the circle smaller, when I make a smaller circle it builds on top of the large circle (therefore I have to click "Step backward" and start from fresh). Sometimes with every new drag of the mouse there is a fresh new circle. Where is the setting that allows you to control whether you want to "build up" or start from scratch?

I'm not the best at explaining so hope this makes sense!!

I strongly recommend using a Gradient layer, not a Solid Color layer with the Gradient Tool on the mask, wherever possible.  As demonstrated in this thread, and in this article.

However, the behaviour you're describing shouldn't be happening.  The only thing I can think of is that you have your Gradient Tool set to "Foreground to Transparent".

You have to make sure it's set to the first option (Foreground to Background) or the third option (Black,White), not the second option.

gradienttool.png.e9a790c9f1d4dea9478aed9

• Like 1

Thank you Damien!! That's exactly it! When it's on foreground to transparent it "builds on" and when it's on foreground to background it "starts from scratch" I couldn't figure it out but knew it must be something simple!

• Like 1