Replace Background

Jacki

I'm trying to help a friend with a snapshot from her wedding 11 yrs ago. This is her favorite picture, but of course she would prefer it without other people in it. I could crop it square but there is still a man behind. Is there any hope for this one? It seems especially tricky with white behind her and multiple colors behind him and his hair. 

I don't have a preference for the background, Whatever would be easiest. I could take a wall or window from other images that day but none are the right size, so I would have to enlarge the background substantially.

The image is only 1504x999px so maybe it's already a lost cause? I'd like to help her have something from her wedding day to hang up though.

24.jpg

Sadly, I have exactly what she has. I went to her house to double check. It must've gotten resized years ago but we can't get the full size now.

Ok, so I'd start by opening it in your raw program and fixing the white balance.

Then in PS, draw guides where you think your square crop will go, and add a clone layer to clone out the bits of people on either side.

Then choose a light-coloured "Solid Color" layer, and mask it onto the background, over the guy.

Here's a screenshot of my start.

I added a layer on top with black sides to hide the clutter... I can remove it.

I think I am done masking on the right and left sides until I get to their hair and between their faces. Is there a tip for hair... or just the awesome shift-click?

24_clone.JPG