Recovering Detail

I was asked if I could help recover detail from a scanned photo. Specifically the teeth. I've tried and I can't seem to pull much detail. I don't know if it's because the photo is a scanned one or if it was just a little soft focused. The photo looks like it's from the early 90's from a point and shoot snapshot and I don't have the negative. Is there a trick or is it a loss? I won't post the photo because it's not mine and I don't know if it would break the rules.

Make sure it's been scanned in like this: http://www.damiensymonds.net/scanning-guidelines-for-old-photo-restoration.html

And post a crop of the teeth, without the person's eyes, if you're worried -- I'm not aware of any law in any country that prohibits you from posting an non-identifiable image of someone else, for educational purposes. 

I doubt it was scanned that way, I'm trying to see if I can get the actual photo if not the negative which would be ideal. Here's a crop of the mouth area that I've edited, as you can see, it's super grainy and hard to get any detail.

image.png