Canon 5D mk iii

How do you rate this camera?  My R6 is on it's way back to Canon and I'm guessing it will be there for some time (sigh).  I've seen a 5d mk iii on sale for £699 (GBP) with a shutter count of approx 48,000.  Seems like a fairly good option for a second/back up camera.  I see that the mk ii isn't rated as highly (could pick one of those up for £449 with shutter count of 9430)

Interested to hear your thoughts - thanks

The 5D Mark III is still a workhorse camera. 48,000 clicks seems reasonable. One thing with the 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III cameras is if you use both the SD Slot and CF Slot, the camera slows down when it writes from the buffer to the card. Canon likes cutting corners to save money and the CF slot slows itself down to the slower SD's speed when using two cards. So if you are shooting portraits, this isn't too much of an issue. If you are shooting Sports & Action, then you want to avoid using the SD slot altogether.

I would not buy a 5D Mark II at this point. Not only due to age; the center focus point is the only reliable one as it's the only cross-type AF point. All the other ones don't work well. The 5DMK3 is a huge improvement in the Focusing Dept.

The 6D is a "Bridge" camera / beginner Full Frame Body. This means that those type of bodies are meant for the Rebel Users that upgrade to Full Frame. If you shoot anything professionally, get the 5D Mark III.

Actually, just get the 5DM3 and be happy.

Trust me.

PS: Even if it's just Stock Photography. Get the 5D Mark III.

• Like 1

The shutter count isn't what people make it out to be. You can always replace the shutter mechanism. The 5D Mark III is rated to 150,000 clicks, so there is a lot of life in that camera. Now if the thing was 130,000 clicks, I'd say pass. But 100,000 stock photos is a lot of stock photos. LOL!!

Some info: https://shuttercheck.app/data/canon/eos-5d-mark-iii/

• Like 1

I've just read the description further - it seems to be a bit tatty, broken eye cup, smells of smoke, and originally sourced from outside the EU (not sure what issue that causes) but I have other sources available so I will search further.  Thanks for the link above, I will check it out

Oh! Yeah, I’d skip it. Glad you found this out before you clicked buy. COVID has really messed things up in terms of pricing and availability. Even for the used market items. Keep looking, a 5DM3 is still worth it in 2021. 

• Like 1