How to 'see' white balance better

siobhankelly

Hi Damien,

White balance - it's my nemesis. I've taken the raw class but I still find myself struggling with reds in skin. I do edit on a laptop so my light can change, but I do try to check them in a consistent light as much as I can. I compare them to a digital image that I've printed and am happy with (I also still have the print as reference too). I calibrate my screen regularly with the spyder x elite. But still, I finish a session and am happy with them, and then the next day I'm looking at the images again and they're looking too pink (or the opposite - I've stripped the pinks out and they're looking green). 

Are there any other tips and tricks that I'm missing?

Siobhan

Hey again, just to add, I've tried using a white card and then sampling from the image (like if a person was wearing grey or white), but even then I find it changes depending on where on the card or person I sample!

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

I have no record of you in my raw class.  How long ago was it?

years ago - back in 2015. My email says I paid for it in 6 July, 2015 :)

2 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

I have no record of you in my raw class.  How long ago was it?

Looks like I might have signed up through my personal email address, drew.siobhan@gmail.com

You didn't post a SINGLE photo in class.  I sure hope you're not telling people "I took Damien's Raw Class but it didn't help me".  Of COURSE it didn't help you, you didn't post any photos.

Take the damn class again, and USE IT THIS TIME.

I posted a photo in the Facebook group at the time and was told that I had it right - it was a wedding photo, outdoors, bright sunlight with blush pink bridesmaids. At the time I took this as ‘cool, nailed it’ and only since then - long after the class expired - realised I didn’t have it nailed.

and on the contrary, I recommend your classes all the time.

26 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

You didn't post a SINGLE photo in class.  I sure hope you're not telling people "I took Damien's Raw Class but it didn't help me".  Of COURSE it didn't help you, you didn't post any photos.

Where do I sign up again?

See my last comment on a photo posted. It was something I thought I had nailed at the time, posted a photo to confirm, and now it’s an issue I have found in the last year or so. 

33 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

EA5657C0-96E7-44D6-BB6F-770A0847BB77.jpeg

BFC3248A-F1CE-409B-BF58-663CA6F5C697.jpeg