Attempting the monitor calibration today as I received the lab prints.  The prints seem darker than the monitor.  I have a Dell U2417 monitor and a Spyder 5 Pro calibrator.  The lighting is a ceiling fan with 3 bulbs- 100w 1600 lumens 'Daylight' Sylvania LED.  I just took back 3 60w bulbs as those had very little output.  Right now, the monitor's white balance is at 6500 and the preset mode is Srgb, brightness 18% and contrast 66%  I did move the contrast.  When calibrating, lights are off, shades closed just diffused light coming in.  The calibration value for target 52, current setting 53.  Picture attached is with lights on.  Thanks.

20210609_160633.jpg

Worked on this most of the day and my conclusion the room is to dark.  To come to that findings, I took the photo outside and looked at it and thought it looked good.  Came back in and looked again, looked dark. So, in front of me I have a curtained window.  I pulled the curtain back, looked at the picture again and it looked good.  At this point I figured since this is the first for lab prints, I did a factory reset.  I brought down the brightness to where I thought it was a good match.  Originally I had been using sRGB for the preset mode for the display.  Still the color of the shorts still didn't match.  Instead of using the sRGB preset, I used the color temp and dropped it from 6500k to 5700k which made a better color match.  I then closed the curtains did couple more recals to get the brightness set to where I thought it was good.  Ended up on Spyder, somewhere around 87. 

Now, this brings me to finding a way to get lights on the desk.  Room is to large even for the 3x100w  in the ceiling fan to get enough light, so I need to bring the light to me.  Desk/floor lamp about the only option as the ceiling is high and vaulted.

Sorry for being winded on the path I took.  Wanted to let you know how I got to the point of being dark.

• Like 1

I happen to have a desk lamp -Fluorescent, 27w, 6500k temp bulb (thanks to the wife).  Granted, I will have to keep an eye on the lamp location each time editing.  I have attached a new calibration photo (ignore the glare).  Is it perfect-no.. Is is close--I think it is.  It's a lot different from the first one.  If you have suggestions to make it better, let me know.  Next question--is there a way to address the tint, like the grass?  Thanks for your expertise!

20210610_175002.jpg

Taking a photo to try to show comparison between a print and a screen never works, I'm afraid.  They always look dreadfully different!

2 hours ago, Tankd said:

Is is close--I think it is.

This is great news.  Close enough for you to live with, do you think?

2 hours ago, Tankd said:

Next question--is there a way to address the tint, like the grass?

Can you expand on this question for me?

18 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

This is great news.  Close enough for you to live with, do you think?

At this time, I have to live with it until I figure something else out than the desk lamp.  Doing my best to get it right.  

20 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Can you expand on this question for me?

Speaking of the different shade of green/yellow on the grass.  If thats part of the calibration for the grass, guess its not good enough.

8 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Is it your concern that the grass is further from matching (screen to print) than other areas of the photo?

Yes.

And one last question on lighting.  Is it better to be directly overhead, or anywhere to flood the area?

9 hours ago, Tankd said:

Yes.

Ok.  In that case, it's time to get your lab's profile and soft-proof with it.

9 hours ago, Tankd said:

And one last question on lighting.  Is it better to be directly overhead, or anywhere to flood the area?

That is SUCH a tricky question.

I've generally found that directly overhead is best.

Didn't show any change to the photo, so it must be the calibration and brightness still.  On the 'bright' side, I learned what soft proofing is and how to do it.  Thanks.