Monitor Calibration query (x-rite i1 Display pro)

Hello Damien,

I am new here, I've just bought x-rite i1Display Pro calibrator based on the list of your recommendations and tried to calibrate the screen of my laptop (HP Envy TS 17-j011sa).

I followed your step by step instructions and when I got to the end, I noticed that the white point target is CCT 7689. In your instructions you mention that "6500K is the common standard, and 500K either side of that is perfectly acceptable".  Could you please explain to me what it means that my white point target is so much higher than 6500K? Is there any way to bring it closer to 6500K?

Lastly, after setting Luminance to 100 and comparing the result with the prints, I had to re-calibrate and drop luminance to 80. However, my prints (unfortunately not from a professional lab, just from Bonusprint) are still darker than the screen. I wonder whether I might have misunderstood instructions when calibrating. I switched the lights off during the calibration process but as it was already night here, the room was almost completely dark. Was that the correct thing to do or would it be better to calibrate with the lights switched on? (At the moment I have time to edit only at night. If the lights being off during the calibration could not have effected the fact that the screen brightness does not match the prints, shall I be then aiming at editing only during the day?).

I hope that my questions make sense and that you'll be able to help me.

Thank you

Jana

image.thumb.png.23380305beb8967a0e2b634b0835c525.png

image.thumb.png.f6b2ff15d97ba5e95c541181a10226c2.png

10 minutes ago, Jana B said:

my laptop (HP Envy TS 17-j011sa).

Oh gee, is that a touch screen?  They're never very good :(

10 minutes ago, Jana B said:

I noticed that the white point target is CCT 7689. In your instructions you mention that "6500K is the common standard, and 500K either side of that is perfectly acceptable".  Could you please explain to me what it means that my white point target is so much higher than 6500K?

Yeah, sadly it means that your screen isn't very good.

Are you able to plug in a desktop screen to your laptop, and calibrate and edit on that?

11 minutes ago, Jana B said:

Is there any way to bring it closer to 6500K?

Well, tell me about the print comparison.  How is the colour of your screen compared to the colour of your prints?

12 minutes ago, Jana B said:

Lastly, after setting Luminance to 100 and comparing the result with the prints, I had to re-calibrate and drop luminance to 80. However, my prints (unfortunately not from a professional lab, just from Bonusprint) are still darker than the screen. I wonder whether I might have misunderstood instructions when calibrating. I switched the lights off during the calibration process but as it was already night here, the room was almost completely dark. Was that the correct thing to do or would it be better to calibrate with the lights switched on?

Calibrating in the dark is fine.  Calibrating in dim light is also fine.  But no, don't calibrate with the lights switched on.

14 minutes ago, Jana B said:

(At the moment I have time to edit only at night. If the lights being off during the calibration could not have effected the fact that the screen brightness does not match the prints, shall I be then aiming at editing only during the day?)

Now we're getting to the crux of the issue.

It's fine to edit at night, AS LONG AS your room light is nice and bright, the same brightness as daylight.

Have you read this?  https://www.damiensymonds.net/2012/01/light-around-your-computer.html

Hi Damien, thank you very much for your prompt reply! Yes, my laptop has a touch screen (which I never even use) and unfortunately I do not have any desktop screen. Do you have any articles on which desktop screens you would recommend that you could send me a link to, please?       Regarding the colours, I need to compare them again tomorrow when my eyes are less tired. I found it hard to compare though as prints were so much darker than the screen, but I would say that the colours were fine. I have already found a pro lab that I want to get tests prints from, so if the colours from those new prints turn out not to be fine, I’ll ask for your help/advice again, if you do not mind.                                                             Lastly, thank you for your link to your article about light around computer. I definitely need to change the light bulbs because I think that the living room (where I always edit) is not bright enough and the bulbs might be too warm.                                 All in all, what steps should I take for now when it comes to calibrating my not-so-very-good laptop screen, please? 

Just now, Jana B said:

Yes, my laptop has a touch screen (which I never even use)

Yeah, sadly whether you use it or not, it's still a feature that creates crummy screens.

Just now, Jana B said:

unfortunately I do not have any desktop screen. Do you have any articles on which desktop screens you would recommend that you could send me a link to, please?

Some info here.  But please don't disregard this legitimate option.

2 minutes ago, Jana B said:

I found it hard to compare though as prints were so much darker than the screen

Make sure you do the comparison during the day, when the light is good.  I really think that your nighttime lighting is poor, and that's what's causing your grief.

3 minutes ago, Jana B said:

I have already found a pro lab that I want to get tests prints from, so if the colours from those new prints turn out not to be fine, I’ll ask for your help/advice again, if you do not mind.

I look forward to hearing.

4 minutes ago, Jana B said:

Lastly, thank you for your link to your article about light around computer. I definitely need to change the light bulbs because I think that the living room (where I always edit) is not bright enough and the bulbs might be too warm.

Yeah, it's a very common problem.

4 minutes ago, Jana B said:

All in all, what steps should I take for now when it comes to calibrating my not-so-very-good laptop screen, please? 

We'll discuss that further once you tell me how the print comparison looks in the daytime.