Purchase iMac 27" or laptop and screen?

Hi Brian,

I want to start editing my RAW images but I'm a complete novice who is now ready to purchase some hardware (and software). 

In every store I'm drawn to the 27" iMac but for the AUD3500-4000 I have to spend is this the smartest purchase? Especially if they have new ones coming out later this year? I've used Mac and PC in the past and have no real preference, I just want to organise and edit my photos with the least amount of fuss on a screen that looks sharp. 

I've read up on all the PC specs I need which really helps if I go the laptop path, but I'm stuck on a monitor to go with a laptop. 

Can you please help point me in the right/ best direction? 

Thanks, 

Sue

Mac Laptops are a complete waste of money. In order to get one that "Is good for photo editing," you are spending at least $3499 (US Dollars) which as I type this, works out to be A$4645.14. That's before you buy AppleCare and pay your local taxes. So call it around $5000+ Australian!! Which is an insane amount of money to spend on something that you will get 3-4 years of life out of. The reason is, everything is integrated when it comes to Apple's current products. You can't upgrade things after the fact. Not only laptops, but the new M1 line of Apple's products. So you need to spend Apple's way over-priced upgrades in order to be set for the future.

Yes, you read that correctly, the "average" laptop only lasts about 4 years or so. Why? Because it's the Lithium Ion Battery, that hasn't changed much over the years. Sure they have gotten them to last a bit longer, but the battery itself wears out over time, even if you leave it plugged in all the time. Lithium Ion Batteries have a certain shelf life, then they either die on you unexpectedly or start to swell up and possibly can catch on fire. (Rare, but it happens.)

As you can see, I don't recommend laptops for photo-editing. I never have, but people keep asking and I finally gave up arguing. :)

Anyway, to answer your question, you'd need at least a IPS 4K display with a Mac Laptop but truth-be-told, it probably won't look the "best," at least what you are used to. Apple currently does not have an affordable 5K external screen on the market the only models are around the $6000 mark (US Dollars) which are really meant for the $20,000 Mac Pros. Apple used to have  an affordable display, but stopped making them years ago. So what's so bad about a 4K display? Apple really doesn't support any other hardware other than their own. So things like text may not look as crisp among other things. It's the same reason I don't recommend the current Mac Mini computers, it's the lack of a good display to use.

Personally, I'd purchase an Intel Based 27" iMac right now if I had to. The M1 chip is still kinda new, and to be honest, all of those features that Apple is advertising that requires the M1 CPU, I'm not using. So it really isn't a loss for me. I'm just wasting time on Facebook, editing photos, paying bills, etc. Besides, Photoshop needs to be programmed to take advantage of what makes those M1 chips so fast, and that's going to take a few years to accomplish. By then, we will be on the M2 Chip, maybe M3.

Have you read some of the pinned articles in this forum? Give this one a read and especially this one. You really aren't going to get the "Best" configuration when it comes to a Mac, unless you buy directly from Apple's website. Currently, with the world-wide chip shortage, prices across-the-board are about $1000 more than their 2018/2019 counterparts. So if you are in the market for a new computer, I'd either save up more money or stick with what you have and deal with it.

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for your response. I read both of those pinned posts last night so I've already ruled out the macbook pros and iMac 24" (which is great because they were both on my 'maybe' list). 

I've priced the 27" iMac at AUD4050 including Apple care but excluding RAM. This is using the education discount. If the RAM at the following link is ok then it's an extra $239.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/memory/sodimm/85472-ct2k16g4sfd8266?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpue6n_3L8QIVArqWCh0GgwpPEAQYAiABEgJo0_D_BwE

Since I'm only just starting out would my money be better spent on a non-mac laptop or desktop (configured to the specifications in your pinned post) and the Dell Ultrasharp U2719DX IPS? 

I'm currently working on a 2013ish homegrown desktop with an old non-IPS monitor. It's running a 32 bit OS so the extra RAM I added isn't useable. The PC crashes when using an old version of Photoshop Elements and whatever Windows version it has is no longer supported. I turned off WiFi because it's a hackers dream computer! 

I'm not really keen on spending big bucks but I've been procrastinating for 5 years now so have probably saved myself 1 iteration of laptop in that time!

I'm probably overthinking this and might actually suck at editing, but I need new gear anyway whether mac or otherwise.

6 hours ago, Footsie said:

If the RAM at the following link is ok then it's an extra $239

Yep. That should work. A$239 is way better than paying Apple's insane prices. Here is the real benefit, you can keep using the Apple RAM and get 40GB!  Yes, you can install it yourself, it takes about 5 or so. So you spend A$239 for 40GB of RAM vs A$600+ for 32GB.

Since I'm only just starting out would my money be better spent on a non-mac laptop or desktop (configured to the specifications in your pinned post) and the Dell Ultrasharp U2719DX IPS? 

That is the question that only you can answer. If you want to stick with the Windows Platform, then yes, that would be one way to go. The tough part with a laptop is honestly getting one that has enough horsepower. The requirements are still the same, enough RAM (16GB or more,) a beefy video card that has its own dedicated Video Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, etc. In reality, you are looking at a Gaming Laptop which really isn't cheap. No, the "$999 Special" that used to be "Good Enough" in years past doesn't exist in 2021. The chip shortage has made sure of that; what I mean about the chip shortage is not only the actual parts that make up a computer, i.e., hard drives, motherboards, etc. but the actual components that make up those parts are in short supply. It's the same reason you can't buy the latest Xbox or Sony Playstation off the shelf. There is a shortage of a whole slew of components. We have fields full of cars that can't be sold in the US. Why? No computers to install in them.

Now for the answer I think you are looking for: Macintosh computers are NOT better, they are just different.

I'm a Mac owner and I'm typing this on my fancy 27" iMac. So I put my money where my mouth is. That said, I deal with Windows Computers and Servers all day long when it comes to my day-job. When I come home, I don't want to F*ck with my computer, and if I do, it's just routine maintenance. That's why I have a Mac. When you switch to a Macintosh, it's in your best interest to switch to the Mac Format and not live between worlds. Mac --> OR <-- Windows. If you are going back-and-forth between the two worlds or have to, it's better to stick with a Windows Computer. Speaking of a Windows computer and the chip shortage, the price between the two worlds has never been closer that it is currently, and I've been messing around with computers since 1981. It's insane. Even a Dell XPS Computer is around the same price as a 27" iMac, and that's before you purchase a Display. Video Cards are going for $1500 all by themselves.

It's running a 32 bit OS so the extra RAM I added isn't useable. The PC crashes when using an old version of Photoshop Elements and whatever Windows version it has is no longer supported. I turned off WiFi because it's a hackers dream computer! 

Yep, and there is no way to "upgrade" to a 64-bit Operating System to take advantage of that extra RAM. You will need to format (aka Nuke) your Hard Drive and install a 64-bit OS, like Windows 10. You can't go from 32bit to 64bit, so says Microsoft. Turning off the WiFi is also smart and it sounds like it's running Windows 7 or Windows Vista. Neither are supported in this day-and-age. Hell, even Windows 10 is due to be replaced / not supported in 2025. So buying a little more now in terms of horsepower, might save you from having to buy another computer in a few years. But Windows 11 is still a bit down the line and I'm in no rush. A lot can happen within the next 4 years or so.

I'm probably overthinking this and might actually suck at editing, but I need new gear anyway whether mac or otherwise.

You are at a crossroads. Damien will tell you that Macs are a complete waste of money and you should buy a Windows Computer. I own a Mac for the above stated reason. In either case, you really need a better screen and a computer upgrade. Macs come with a IPS screen and traditionally, we have had decent luck with the Dell IPS Displays if you went the Windows Computer route. Oh, besides a new computer, you need a calibration device of some kind. I don't care what Kool-Aid Mac User's drink, ALL DISPLAYS NEED TO BE CALIBRATED, even Macs, if you are editing photos. Especially if you are looking to charge people good money for your services.

The reason that the Art / Music world is Pro-Mac has nothing to do with being "better," it's just that Software back in the late 1980's and 1990's that catered to the Creative Types was only taken seriously by Apple. Windows went after Video Games and Business Related Users, so there is this encampment. That's why there is a divide that still exists to this day, and again...Macs are just different, they aren't "Better." Photoshop works the same on both, with very minor differences. (Command Key is used instead of the Ctrl Key and the Option Key on the Mac is used instead of the Alt Key on a Windows Computer. That's the difference when it comes to Photoshop, everything else is the same.)

From a convenience standpoint, a 27" iMac makes things really easy. Just buy the 27" iMac Computer based on my recommendations and get the RAM upgrade; you don't have to think. Then purchase the latest version of Photoshop Elements or sign up for the Photographer's Plan for Adobe Photoshop CC. That's it. It should be $9.99, plus tax. If you do go the PS CC Route, check with me 1st, there are many different and more expensive Adobe plans that are simply not worth it, and you can get suckered into spending more money than you have to. Macs also make things very easy to switch and it will read your Windows External Hard Drives with no problems. So migrating won't be an issue; in fact, after we get your images moved over to the new Mac, we can Partition and Format your existing HDs and use them on your iMac. The issue is when you want to go back to a Windows Computer or go back-and-forth. That's when things get a little messy.

Hi Brian, I can't thank you enough for answering all my questions and explaining the differences between the two systems. 

I'm going to price some laptops but from what I've seen so far they are comparable in price to the iMac anyway. Since I'm always drawn to the iMacs I should just bite the bullet! 

Hi Brian, in terms of buying a Mac and being able to use it for the next 7 years or so, do you think that's the case for the 2021 Intel iMacs? I've been reading up a bit more on them and a lot of users are saying they will only last for 4-5 years because Apple will stop supporting the Intel chips. 

Check some of the latest threads. I’ve answered similar questions. Personally, I would still buy a Intel iMac as of right now. Let the other people be Guinea Pigs for the new Architecture. If you purchase a 27” based on my recommendations, it should last you about 7-8 years. 

If you are worried about getting a M1, there is already talk about the M2 Chip this Fall. You will NEVER win the “ahead” game. Unless you buy a new computer every 18-24 months. 

In case you are wondering, Mac Laptops are a complete waste of money, in my honest opinion. Check out the “Quick and Dirty Mac Configurations” in this group. It’s a Pinned Topic.