Resolution for large prints

I have a Nikon d7000. I shot a large football team poster yesterday. The poster is 24x36. I used my 24-70mm 2.8, I know this probably wasn't the best lens but felt like it was my best choice for what I have in my camera bag. I used 22 for my fstop and my ISO was 400. The resolution is lower. It's still going to print because I can't think of anything else to do. Is it my camera, my lens choice, the size of the poster, what could I have done better. To include all the boys in the poster, I was probably 40-50 yards back to include them all. This is just a really big job for me as it gets me in front of 60-70 local families and or seniors. 

My basic question is, What did I do wrong that my resolution is low.  Is it my camera, lens choice, size of print?  I'm frustrated that I can't get a crisp poster of this size with my D7000.  I want to upgrade to the D750 but I do a lot of work for this school, about 12 different sports for them a year, Will the D750 do better?  I know that the 35mm lens would have been a better choice but I'm trying to upgrade as I go.... I feel like I'm comfortable with photography until I get to issues like this.

4 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Great!  Then you did perfectly. There's not a single thing you could have done differently.

If I had a higher resolution camera... Like the 750, would they be more crisp? Do you have any advice for shooting large groups like this?