Just tell me what to buy pretty please!

Yvette J

Hi.

Thank you in advance. I am the least technologically savvy person around. Brian you helped me about 10 years ago and I am afraid it's time to upgrade. I can't get my 10 year old ASUS laptop (which I love) to update to Windows 10. I have a new Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop. I would like to buy an external monitor and a calibrator. I would also like to stay under $500. Is that doable? If so, recommendations? 

Also, there use to be a place to buy you a beer or a coffee for your time...does that still exist? Please share the link.

THANK YOU!!!

1 hour ago, Yvette J said:

I would also like to stay under $500. Is that doable? If so, recommendations? 

No. $500? Not happening! Not in 2021.

Seriously, now is THE ABSOLUTE WORST TIME TO BE IN THE MARKET FOR A NEW COMPUTER!!!

There is COVID-19 happening, which is causing factories to be shut down, which then creates a limited supply of little pieces that make up the bigger pieces that makes up a computer. $500 just isn't going to cut it. Not for a laptop that is "Good for Photo Editing." Sorry Dear... you are looking at spending around $3000.

Yes, I'm dead serious.

Even if you opted to go for a desktop computer, you are looking at spending between $2500-$3000...and that's for a stinkin' Dell Computer!!! Prices have tripled over the past year, and that's when they are "On Sale." Video Cards alone that would have cost about $600 in 2019, and I'm talking about the fancy ones that Gamers use, are selling for $1500+, all by themselves. I wrote this article for folks that are in your situation...

Buying a Computer in 2021

My recommendation: Keep saving. At the very least, you need to have $2000 saved up. I have a feeling prices won't go back to "Normal" (whatever that is) until 2023.

Basically, the components that make up a laptop that's "Good for Photo Editing" were hard to find BEFORE COVID19 hit. Now it's like they are almost damn near-impossible to find, and certainty not at a $500, or even a $1000 price-point. Yes. It sucks. :(

I'm sorry. I wasn't clear. I already bought a laptop in July. I am looking to buy an external monitor and calibrator for it. I was wondering if those two items were doable for $500 or less. If so, what should I buy? I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop but I know laptops aren't ideal for editing. 

Ah Gotcha!!

Yes, $500-ish is totally do-able for both a display and calibration device. Here is one of Dell's newer 27" IPS Displays. If you don't want to go as big as 27", they have a 24" version.

Here is last year's model and is still worth buying. It's IPS, which is what you want, and has a anti-glare coating on it. For $330 and 27"...it's a good buy. 

So $330 thus far. Now time for the Calibrator.

There are a couple of choices. IF you are going to calibrate both your laptop's Display AND External Display, and want to obtain the best chance of them matching, it's better to get something like the SpyderX Elite or the X-Rite i1Display ProOf course, these are the two top-of-the-line calibrators, and their prices reflect that. You can go the next level down and pay about $170-ish.