RAM upgrade recommendations?

LAND

Hi, I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015) running on Big Sur 11.5.2 with 8 GB memory (2x4gb memory cards). It’s slow and clunky ( I run Clean My Mac once a week) so I think I need to add more RAM?

having investigated this on support.apple.com it looks straight forward enough.  Do you have any recommendations for memory cards for this machine please?  And also can I check if I can mix size of memory cards? So I have two slots free, should I just put another 2 x 4gb cards in or can I put 8s or 16s in and leave the 4 cards where they are?  I hope that makes sense?

Many Thanks

8 hours ago, LAND said:

so I think I need to add more RAM?

OH HELL YES YOU NEED MORE RAM. LOL!!

Your poor computer, it must be struggling so much, begging for more resources. :)

It's good that you have a 2015 27" iMac, you can upgrade the RAM yourself. Takes about 5-10 min to do. What  you are going to do, is remove the existing RAM and install Four 8GB Sticks. To answer your question, you have to install the same RAM chips in matching pairs. So while you can leave the two existing 4GB sticks installed, just max it out to 32GB and be done with it. Seriously.

Here is the RAM I want you to purchase. It's $183.98 to max out your RAM to 32GB. Yes, it's worth it. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than just installing two extra sticks, but we do have the Chip Shortage going. So don't sit on this. Even though prices are a little higher currently, this RAM Kit isn't too bad. (It's about $30 more than it was a year ago.)

Here is a quick YouTube Video demonstrating the process. The only thing I'd like to add is you want to touch something metal to discharge any Static Electricity before handling the RAM Sticks. RAM doesn't like to be zapped by Static Electricity. When you get up to 32GB, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.