Photographing painted canvas

Hi, I have a piece of art work; landscape on canvas that I have photographed and the artist wants it blown up to print approx A0 size for reproduction prints. I have photographed it and all appears sharp and in focus but when I either zoom in to 100% or get the printer to print a sample spot it looks really noisy and not so sharp. I have resampled when enlarging. What am I not doing or doing incorrectly? 

Thanks 

image.jpeg

Yes, and that it no longer is a good representation of the original. I feel like it looses it clarity. Also printed to A3 still looks great, but any larger it starts to look awful. 

3 minutes ago, Lyndak said:

no longer is a good representation of the original. I feel like it looses it clarity. Also printed to A3 still looks great, but any larger it starts to look awful. 

Oh, that's because you haven't taken The Sharpening Class yet.

4 minutes ago, Lyndak said:

Yes

Ok, how did you light the painting when you were photographing it?

• Like 1

I've done a few different versions, including, constant lighting set high at a 45 degree angle and me shooting behind the lights, also tried with lights whine me, have tried with the lights facing straight up with the idea it might create a better disbursement of light but it just created more shadows and enhanced the raised bits on the canvas making it appear extremely dotty, I also read that a polarising filter on the lens could help; it really didn't. The best so far has been using the daylight first thing in the morning with it being overcast. 

6 minutes ago, Lyndak said:

Ok thanks, I'll try again and let you know. So you think it's the lighting that is the issue? 

Well ... don't you think so?  The grain of the canvas is the vexing issue here, in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Lyndak said:

Just double checking. It is possible for the reproduction to be printed again on canvas and look as clear as the original at the same approx A0 size? 

Of course.  With the right sharpening.