Canon ERR 20

mrsjangles

Hi.  I am getting an err 20 message on my camera.  I have attached a photo of the full message.  I get the same message with all lenses, so I am guessing it is something more to do with the camera.  I have re-instaled the battery, turned it on and off, replaced the CF Card and it is still happening? have you come across this before.  thanks in advance.

20160825_122209.jpg

Ah....the dreaded "Err 20." The only thing left to try is to remove the lens and clean the contacts, on both the camera and lens with a clean pink eraser and a lint free cloth. Also, if you are using a 3rd party battery, try using a Canon OEM version. If you are using a battery grip, especially a 3rd party grip, try removing it and see if that works.

If it still doesn't work, your camera more than likely needs to be sent into Canon for repair. Usually, it's the mirror/shutter mechanism that is stuck, causing the error. Or it could have something to do with the main board and/or power supply. Basically, your camera is really "stuck" and can't recover from it. Other than the basics, not much else you can do. 

Hi Brian

i have a canon 5d mark ii.  I use all genuine canon accessories.  

Here is the weird thing.  I left it for a couple of hours and tried it again and it was working, I wasn't getting the message.  I got busy yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to have a good play.  Maybe that means it could be a shutter issue.  thoughts?  i don't like the sound of main board/power issue :(

I will keep you updated and let you know how i go after todays play.  

What you are describing is VERY common on the 5DMark2. From what I've seen, Canon recommends updating the firmware to the latest version, which usually results in mixed reviews. While it's great to have the latest firmware, I don't think it fixes the problem, but who knows? I'd try that next. 

Now, it still could be a problem with the body and at this point, it's probably not worth fixing due to its age, but used 5D Mark 2 bodies are still above $1000 for one in good shape. So that's your call. Other than the stuff you have tried, to things that I've recommended to updating the firmware, that's all you can do. If the problem persists, then it's either sent in for repair or new / different camera body.