Error message when ordering 30x40 print

I am attempting to order a 30x40 print for a client through Millers lab. The raw image is 28.2 MB and I am cropping just enough for the 30x40 ratio. However, when I try to order the print through ROES, I get an error that says the image is below our minimum image size recommendations for the 30x40" print size. I thought I was saving it as a high-res JPEG but I must be doing something wrong.  I played around with my export settings in Lightroom and changed the dimensions to 12000x9000 with 300PPI and it no longer gives me the error in ROES but I feel like that may be just having lightroom add pixels which could mess up the quality. (I don't typically enter in a width and height in LR export.) Scared to fork out the $100 for the print without knowing I'm exporting properly. Thank you for your help!  FYI: I used LR and PS to edit the image. 

Yeah, Lightroom plays no role here.  You MUST only prepare print files in Photoshop, where you have proper control over cropping and sharpening.  It's vitally important to crop to the exact size and resolution you require.

Read about cropping: http://www.damiensymonds.net/2011/09/cropping-tutorial.html

Learn about sharpening and blow your mind: http://www.damiensymonds.net/trainingsharp.html

Get rid of Lightroom and change your life: http://www.damiensymonds.net/bridge-30-day-challenge

I just read all of that and it is super helpful, but this is the first session that I have used LR and PS to edit so I want to make sure I am understanding.  (Before I only used LR...I know I know you don't have to tell me how stupid that is. :$)   I am going to start from scratch with the raw image again because I cropped in LR prior to editing in PS.  Sooooo...let's see if I've got this right:

1-Edit raw image in LR (no cropping)

2-Open in PS using these LR external export settings.  (see pic)  Are these settings right?Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 9.50.17 PM.png

3-Edit in PS

4-Crop with dimension 30x40" and 300PPI  (Please see pic to check if I'm doing this right.) Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 9.57.03 PM.png

5-Flatten image

6-Export as jpeg using these PS settings (see two PS pics)Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 9.58.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.02.14 PM.png

7-Import in ROES and order 30x40

Feeling really lost and nervous that one wrong setting will screw up this print.

7 minutes ago, Ereagan said:

2-Open in PS using these LR external export settings.  (see pic)  Are these settings right?Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 9.50.17 PM.png

In most cases, and certainly for this photo, 16-bit is overkill.  8-bit is fine.

7 minutes ago, Ereagan said:

3-Edit in PS

You didn't mention saving after this.  Make sure you have your layered master file saved safely before you proceed to the cropping etc for output.

8 minutes ago, Ereagan said:

4-Crop with dimension 30x40" and 300PPI  (Please see pic to check if I'm doing this right.) Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 9.57.03 PM.png

Perfect.

10 minutes ago, Ereagan said:

5-Flatten image

After flattening, sharpen.

8 minutes ago, Ereagan said:

6-Export as jpeg using these PS settings (see two PS pics)Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 9.58.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.02.14 PM.png

NO.  No exporting.  Use plain old "File>Save As".  Jpeg, Quality 7 (on the 0-12 slider)

10 minutes ago, Ereagan said:

7-Import in ROES and order 30x40

Correct.

5 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

In most cases, and certainly for this photo, 16-bit is overkill.  8-bit is fine.

Is there a benefit to changing it to 8-bit or downside to keeping it 16?  I know this photo doesn't require 16 bit but what scenario would I need 16 bit?  (just for future reference so I don't screw up)

8 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

NO.  No exporting.  Use plain old "File>Save As".  Jpeg, Quality 7 (on the 0-12 slider)

Gotta know because if I understand the reason then I will be more likely to remember in the future...why shouldn't you export?  When I click "save as" in PS it doesn't give me a jpeg slider?  It just lets me type a name, choose the format, and click if I want to embed the color profile.    

2 minutes ago, Ereagan said:

Is there a benefit to changing it to 8-bit or downside to keeping it 16?

16-bit files take up twice as much space on your hard drive.

Hardly any photos need 16-bit.  The only time you need 16-bit is when you are doing really significant editing in Photoshop.  Like, changing areas from really dark to really bright, for example.

4 minutes ago, Ereagan said:

Gotta know because if I understand the reason then I will be more likely to remember in the future...why shouldn't you export?

Because exporting is a stupid Lightroom thing.  The concept of exporting stems from the concept that software controls your files.  No.  YOU control your files.

The sooner you ditch Lightroom, the better.

5 minutes ago, Ereagan said:

When I click "save as" in PS it doesn't give me a jpeg slider?  It just lets me type a name, choose the format, and click if I want to embed the color profile.    

That's right.  You choose Jpeg for the format, and yes, of course you always keep the colour profile embedded.  Then, when you press the "Save" button, another little window will pop up, where you choose the quality level.

• Like 1

Ok, this just confirms that I make dumb mistakes when I just wing it and don't really know what I'm doing.  Need to get into some of your classes asap!  Thanks again!  I feel MUCH better about this print.

• Like 1