Prints comparison

Hi Damien,

Due to the fact that we're in different times zones and also because I can see the note about you going away this weekend, I decided to post the update to my print comparison here as well. (I posted it under my "blade of grass removal" thread, but I assume that either you're busy now or you might not have noticed the notification.)

So I compared the prints during daylight yesterday, following your article "Before calibrating your monitor". I did not hold the prints close to the screen , I held them to one side and turned my head ninety degreees when comparing them to the screen. Unfortunately, even if I do not expect perfect match, I find them too dark and I am not satisfied with them. I am not sure how to show you what the comparison looks like. Unfortunately, I did not take any photos when I did the comparison yesterday during daylight, but I tried to do take a photo of the comparison again this evening with the lights on. However, I could not find a right angle to do it without backlighting the prints. I'll attach one meagre example though (I held the print even further from the screen when I did the actual comparison), but I think that this example won't help at. How would you advice I proceed now? You mentioned that I cannot calibrate to a lower target than 70, so what else could I do now?

I also would like to mention that when I have people in a photo, I check whether my subject's skin is well exposed by using the "curves method" (hovering the sample point over a bright midtone and looking where on the curve it lands). In the photos, which I used for the test prints, it shows that the skin was properly exposed, but the prints are darker. (I am attaching one of the photos that I used as a test print-a photo of my little boy). What are your thoughts on this, please? PS: The lab I used is called Loxley Colour

IMG-7062.JPG

untitled-Loxley test prints-2.JPG

Oh no, first of all, this room has the biggest window that we have in our flat and secondly, there is literally nowhere else to move the desk in our tiny two bedroom maisonette.

Could moving the desk somewhere else within the room help?

PS: sorry for the mess in the photo. I've just put my boys to bed and am about to tidy up.

My desk is currently where I took the photo from and I suspect that it's possition is wrong. (there are no other windows in this room, but the light also comes in through a door on the camera's left.

IMG-7075.JPG

Thank you. I could actually try to move it about 1.5 metres from the window along that wall. I'll definitely try to do that to see if it makes any difference. (I forgot to mention that currently I edit 90% of time at night though).

So I wonder now, do you find that photo of my boy that I attached above underexposed? Am I underexposing because of not having correct light around my computer? Is that the reason why the prints came out dark?

I should perhaps also mention that I've recently had a photo published in a magazine and when I compare that photo in the magazine to my screen, I am happy with the match. That really confuses me now.

2 hours ago, Jana B said:

(I forgot to mention that currently I edit 90% of time at night though).

No, I'm pretty sure you DID mention that.  After we finish Phase 1 (getting your screen correct during the day) we commence Phase 2 (getting your room properly lit at night).

So I wonder now, do you find that photo of my boy that I attached above underexposed?

A little underexposed, yes.

Am I underexposing because of not having correct light around my computer? Is that the reason why the prints came out dark?

Absolutely.  Your screen is too bright, which is making your brain think it's ok to leave your photos too dark.

• Like 1

Oh my, I saw your responses only now. So I have moved my desk to the place which we discussed (about 1.5 metres from the window along that wall, light coming from my left). Is there anything else to do regarding getting my screen correct during the day or is it time now to look at the light at night -aka change the lightbulbs?

Edited by Jana B

Regarding the photo above being a bit underexposed, it might also mean that I am not good at finding bright mid-tone when checking correct exposure of the subject's skin. It is definitely something I need to work on.

I am more satisfied with the daytime match now, but I still think that the prints are darker (but not as much as I thought before I moved the desk) than what I see on the screen. What’s the next step now?

OK, so last time I calibrated to 70. Shall I try 60 now? Also, when I calibrated to 70, I struggled to adjust the brightness to the set target of 70 - it was either 54 or 81, so I chose the lower target because it was written there that the calibrator would adjust the brightness to the set target anyway if the screen’s brightness cannot be adjusted “manually” accurately. Was that the correct thing to do? When I have two options of adjusting the screen’s brightness - one way lower and one way higher than the target, is it better to choose the lower one or the higher one? Does it matter at all if the calibrator will attempt to adjust it correctly to the target value anyway? TIA

I re-calibrated last night again to the target of 60 and compared the prints during the daylight today. I can see some improvement, but I still think that the prints are darker than what I see on the screen. I guess, that I shouldn't go lower than the target of 60, correct? What would you advise now, please?

Calibration 20-11-2021 part2.JPG

Calibration 20-11-2021.JPG