Photoshop Timeline missing commands

I have a Mac laptop running OSX 10.8.5 and Photoshop CS6. It is under 2 years old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 7.7GB free out of 250GB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I have never run a cleanup program.

I have been trying (for several hours now -- waaaaaah!) to create a GIF in Photoshop timeline using about 10 of my images.  Every tutorial that I have watched indicates that, once my files have been loaded and appear as layers, I should be able to click the "create frame animation tab" in timeline, and my images will appear as frames at the bottom of the Timeline window.  However, when I click the "create frame animation tab," nothing happens.  I am also unable to click on/toggle the icon in the lower left corner (looks like three little boxes in a row), which reads "convert to frame animation" when I hover over it.  I have tried using smaller image files, restarting Photoshop, etc.

Thank you!!

Ok, so I freed up 30 GB of space so far (still working on deleting more files)…the issue still exists.  Is there likely another problem in addition to HD space?

45 minutes ago, TinaK said:

Ok, so I freed up 30 GB of space so far (still working on deleting more files)…the issue still exists.  Is there likely another problem in addition to HD space?

30GB is still way too little free space -- remember, you need to hit 1/3rd free.  And have you restarted your computer since freeing up that bit of space?

I don't have that option in my drop down menu (and many of the menu options that I do have -- such as "convert frames" -- are grayed out)!
Are you using Photoshop CS6?  

When I click on that menu, nothing happens.  Thank you so much for trying to help!! I Googled this before posting here, and I didn't find any answers…so frustrated.