Brush acting like a real paint brush

I have done a quick search but could not find and answer to my question. It is probably something very simple but I have not come across it before. Why is my brush now a paint brush instead of the hide/reveal brush. How do I get it back to normal? PHotoshop CC.

Cannot give you a screen shot Damien as I am currently reinstalling CC. However when I select the brush tool I get the image of a brush,not a circle which I usually get and although the size of this brush stays the same it will brush larger or smaller, but colour. I want to hide/reveal on a mask and it will not do so. All images

That changed the appearance but not the behaviours of the brush. I have a black mask. I want to paint white on it to reveal what is underneath. I cannot because the brush is not behaviing. Now I have a nice cross instead of the brush, but it will not increase or decrease in size with the brackets and will not paint white where I want it to.

I have a PC desktop running Windows 10  and Photoshop cc 2016. It is over 2 years old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 608GB free out of 932GB. The last time I shut down was just before posting this thread. I run a cleanup program about once a week.

I regularly restart the computer and the cleanup is done weekly.

Not a screen shot and not the image I was working on, but maybe you can see the brush on the grey background to the left of the image.

Hmmm ...

2700 is a very big brush, of course.  If you take it down in size, is it still the same?

49 minutes ago, Graham said:

I have a black mask. I want to paint white on it to reveal what is underneath. I cannot because the brush is not behaviing.

Has this additional problem cleared itself up since the restart?

Yes that seems to make no difference at all. Nothing has changed. I also have CS6 and that works normally. And so did CC once.  I have uninstalled CC and then reinstalled, restarted the computer, reset the workspace, checked all of the preferences, now I have just reset the cursor to normal brush tip and I think it is now working again.  I had it on standard and then precise before.