Opening layer in Camera Raw

When I open a layer from a photoshop file into camera raw, the layer appears to be more saturated and have more contrast than it did in photoshop. I assume there is a setting in camera raw that I have wrong. This is a screen shot of my desktop. The images on the left is in photoshop and the image on the right is the same layer opened in camera raw.

Capture.PNG

I'm attempting to bring down some highlights. They are not blown, just brighter than I want them to be and I know I can do it in PS but I think it is easier to do it in camera raw and then mask in the areas that I want to use. What is "dangerous" about doing it that way?

NO.  This must be done in raw.  Only your raw file has sufficient data to do this.  Once data is in Photoshop, it doesn't have enough range.

Start again.  Get your raw processing right.

Your layers panel makes me cry.  I know I've taught you how to edit properly, but you've abandoned it COMPLETELY.

I have not abandoned your teachings. This is a file of a bunch of versions of the same image that I have been submitting to print competitions. Its just a reference file so I can keep track of the different versions I have submitted.