What happened to the 27 inch iMac??

Unfortunately, Apple quietly discontinued the Intel 27" iMac. There is a "replacement" for lack of a better term, but your Wallet isn't going to like it. At all.

Budget should be around $5200. :(

I'm a little busy today, but an updated article for a Mac that's "Good for Photo Editing (2022 / 2023 Edition)" will be written shortly and posted this week.

• Like 1

Ughh why would they do this?? NO way I'm paying 5k for a new Mac .For the first time I may be switching over back to PC.

In one of my photography groups , a photographer bought the 24 inch Mac with the 16gb unified memory and she's already getting the ram/memory error. She claims to have only Lightroom running and is receiving that error. She feels the M1 chip does make the 16 gb run like a 32gb as they told her.

This is devastating! Look forward to the article, thanks so much!

Yeah, the M1 chip utilizes RAM much more efficiently than a Intel Chip. The downside is your software really needs to be optimized for the M1 chip. So if that photographer is not using the latest version of LR CC, there could be all sorts of weird issues. 

The problem with the 24 inch Mac OS that they can’t be calibrated as the screen panel is incompatible with even current caliber tools like the SpyderX Elite. So there is a bit of a waiting game. 

The “Cheaper” configuration is basically using a Mac Mini and a LG 5K Display. But don’t get your hopes up, welcome to the new pricing that’s here to stay; it still won’t be cheap. 

I've been reading in my photography groups that they have just bought the Mac mini and a large display. For them it works like a " beast" lol. And I may go that route.

This change Apple made just kinda turned me off now to their products. I think I may get a PC, gaming system and this way I don't have to worry about purchasing computers every three years! Since I have trouble with brightness in calibrating with a iMac maybe this is a sign to make the switch. 

Another suggestion I've been receiving is trying a MacBook Pro?? Like how?? I can't edit on a laptop. Ana Brandt recently told me in a postt that she edits on a MacBook Pro and does not need to be calibrated, I cringed. But she's a pro newborn photographer.I just don't think editing on a laptop is for me.

Damien had suggestions on pc and monitor  somewhere here correct? I taking the raw class with him so maybe I'll ask in one of the posts.

1 hour ago, Michelle Pena said:

Another suggestion I've been receiving is trying a MacBook Pro??

MacBook Pros are a complete waste of money. Granted, they are popular, but you are still spending around $4000 or more to get one that is "Good for Photo Editing." I also hate laptops, LOL. So i'm probably the last person you should ask.

The thing with Windows computers, is they aren't cheap in 2022 either. Gone are the days of buying a computer for $999 that's "Decent Enough." Nope. It's more like $3000-ish.

Here is the LG 5K Display that I was talking about. Apple worked with LG to come up with this Display and it's a good match for the M1 Mac Mini:

LG Monitor 27MD5KL-B Ultrafine 27" IPS LCD 5K UHD Monitor for Apple Mac - $1349.

Apple Mac Mini with 8-Core CPU, 16GB RAM and 1TB HD - $1299

So that's $2648 before applicable Tax, Shipping and AppleCare.

846655105_ScreenShot2022-03-21at2_32_38PM.thumb.png.258da351812b38944fd61ea50c18a4c8.png

This configuration will be the cheapest. If you want to have everything Apple, you can buy the new more "Affordable" Apple 5K Display and pair it with a Mac Mini.

4 hours ago, Michelle Pena said:

Can this display be calibrated with my current X rite ?

I believe so, though I'm not 100% sure. Just make sure you have the latest version of the Calibration Software for your particular device. Speaking of which...

4 hours ago, Michelle Pena said:

So this M1 chip should be good for the current PS , I'm still on 2019!! 

Bad news. Well it's not THAT bad, but there is something you should be aware of.

I don't care how "Compatible" Apple claims their M1 chips to be, but OLDER SOFTWARE IS NO LONGER IN YOUR VOCABULARY!!

Meaning you are on the very latest of Adobe Photoshop CC 2022 and forget about using PS CC 2019. In fact, ANY software that is not "Optimized" for use on the M1 Chip, more than likely you will have problems. Or it will just be really quirky. I know PS CC 2019, the version you are on, has all sorts of issues with the M1 chip, forget about the newer just-released M1X chip! Photoshop CC 2019 is so bad that Adobe's "Fix" is for people to upgrade to the absolute latest version of PS CC 2022. Which isn't terrible, but it seems that with each release, Adobe always finds a way to make their software more bloated, act weird and less compatible with every release. LOL!!

Oh, and the new Macs are coming with MacOS Monterey, which as of now has had a few updates and is mostly stable. Anyway, before forking out lots of money, take a hard inventory on the software you use on the computer. EVERYTHING. Calibration Software, CleanMyMac X, Adobe's products, etc., all of it; make sure that software is "Optimized" for use on the M1 chip. Or is certified to work in some way. Fortunately, software that is meant to be compatible with the M1 chips usually state something in the update notes.

Bottom Line: At least for the next year or two, you are really going to have to pay attention to the software that will be used on your new computer. It needs to be programmed for use with the M1 chip and the latest version of the MacOS, Monterey.

Brian, the article would be posted in this group?

I don't mind up grading to PS cc 2022. I guess my main concerns are if they can be calibrated and are fast enough for PS. Those would be my deciding factors on if I should switch back to Pc or stay with Mac. And right now, although I have not made decision yet, it's been a hard one, seems PC is the best way to go. Believe me I love apple products and I love how they all sync my passwords together on all my devices! ( very important for a forgetful person) I will miss that one small feature lol! I know petty but important to me. Also, there are other things to consider all my backup drives are formatted to my Mac and how the heck will I get the info in need transferred to the PC??!! So many things and head is spinning ! lol

Edited by Michelle Pena

I've been busy with my day-job. :)Yes, the article will be posted shortly and it will be here, not on Facebook...I'm never coming back to Facebook.

2 hours ago, Michelle Pena said:

Also, there are other things to consider all my backup drives are formatted to my Mac and how the heck will I get the info in need transferred to the PC??!! So many things and head is spinning !

It's going to be a pain in the ass. Apple makes it very easy to switch from a Windows Computer to a Mac, but not the other way around. It is doable though. Let me write this article.

Great article! Can you tell me if the New Mac Studio can be calibrated ? :/

It's going to be a pain in the ass. Apple makes it very easy to switch from a Windows Computer to a Mac, but not the other way around. It is doable though. Let me write this article.

Please do tell what's doable ! Links you got anything! I understand your busy but when you have the time :) I'm waiting a few months before buying a new one whichever way I go.

Thanks for the article!

On 3/25/2022 at 12:03 PM, Michelle Pena said:

Can you tell me if the New Mac Studio can be calibrated

I was just thinking about this. The honest answer is,

"...I don't know."

I also don't have $5200 laying around for me to buy one and check. :D If the Mac Studio Display uses the same technology as the 24" iMac, then everyone is in the same boat and will be buying a new calibration tool in the very near future. If we have to wait, then I can add the 24" iMac on my recommended configurations and we will just have to wait for the calibration devices to catch up.

On 3/25/2022 at 12:03 PM, Michelle Pena said:

Please do tell what's doable ! Links you got anything!

I'm not understanding your question. Switching back to a Windows Computer?

It’s best to purchase a new external for the Windows Computer.  The files on various EHDs that were formatted for use on your Mac and Apple purposely make it difficult to go back and forth. This way you can keep the original files intact and if something were to go wrong you can attempt things again. You will also need to purchase special software to act as a “Translator.”

Before we get to that, what partition type are your current externals? Hook your drives up and use the Disk Utilities. Are they Journales+, exFAT? Post a screenshot here in this thread.

Yes. MacOS Extended (Journaled) is perfect for use on your Mac. The downside is, Windows will absolutely not read it and will want to format it if you plug it in.

I guess the first part is for you to get the computer of your choosing and we will go from there.

• Like 1