What computer should I buy?

rameier

A couple months ago my 24” Mac went to crap (I know, no surprise). I could not invest in a new computer at that moment & made do, but the time has come. However, I want to do things right this time.

I see the 27” model you recommended a few months ago is no longer offered, so here I am wondering if you’d by chance have new advice. Not opposed to PC, but have been using Mac for 15+ years. Just a little fearful of the price tag jump.

If you could offer any guidance for new computer purchasing, I would be super appreciative! 

The problem is, it is VERY EXPENSIVE now to buy a Mac that's "Good for photo editing..." Really expensive. Like $5200 expensive. The 24" iMac is off the table, as the screen is not compatible with the current Calibration Devices, meaning...until the manufacturers update their Calibration Devices (the part that goes on the display) you won't be able to Calibrate your screen.

Apple quietly discontinued the 27" iMac and it's unfortunate that you weren't able to buy one 6 months ago because now I'm stuck having to recommend over-priced options .

I'm finally getting around to writing that Article. Stand-by.

Shit.

Ok. I don’t think I can bring myself to pull the trigger the studio.

Which option would be my best route:

1. Mini, like mentioned in the article.

2. Certified refurbished, if I can find with proper specs

3. Turning my back on Apple & switching to PC

Here are the overview specs on the two refurbished I was considering, but if I should steer away from either, please let me know. 

A. Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 with Retina 5K display

Originally released August 2020

27-inch (diagonal) Retina 5K display; 5120-by-2880 resolution with support for one billion colors

True Tone technology

8GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory

1TB SSD1

1080p FaceTime HD camera

Radeon Pro 5500 XT with 8GB of GDDR6 memory

B. Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.6GHz 8-core Intel Core i9 with Retina 5K display

Originally released March 2019

27-inch (diagonal) Retina 5K display; 5120-by-2880 resolution with support for one billion colors

16GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory

1TB Fusion Drive1

FaceTime HD camera

Radeon Pro 575X

Do not buy a Mac with a STUPID FUSION DRIVE!!!

Avoid those like the Plague. A Fusion drive is a traditional spinning HD with a small, usually 32GB SSD Drive. Performance SUCKS with those drives.

This is what you are looking for:

• 27" iMac - 5K Retina Screen
  • 1TB SSD Main HD
  • 8GB RAM (or 16 if it comes with it)
  • A Video Card that has at least 8GB Video Memory

You can always upgrade the RAM yourself at a later date for A LOT less money than what Apple would charge you. Seriously. A 32GB Configuration is around $1000. You can purchase a Crucial RAM kit for around $350 or so and end up with more RAM in the end, like 72GB. Yep, you read that correctly...more RAM for LESS money. 

So in your comment, the first Mac out of the two you listed would be the one to get. That said, keep this in mind: When dealing with the Refurbished Mac Store, what you see on their page is what they have in stock AT THAT MOMENT. So if you see something you like, can afford it, BUY IT!! Because it could be gone in as little as a few minutes or not be there tomorrow.

Ok. Made that purchase. Now RAM.

If I should be sending a direct message about this or starting a new thread, just let me know. Not overly experienced here.

Also, not at all experienced on upgrading my RAM. Is there a link that you can guide me to that would tell me exactly what to buy? I went to Crucial.com & see there are different options.

Looking at this forum I see YouTube will be my friend for installation, but if there’s a good step by step you’d recommend for that too..again, zero experience.

Mac used all for photo editing. 

Adding RAM to a 27” is EASY. Lots of YouTube videos demonstrating the process. Get the Mac first, then we will talk about RAM. You can create a new thread OR check out the ones I’ve already answered in here.