Computer/Mac health - need advice

Jessie A

Hi all,

First time posting in here :)

I know I have an older Mac, but when I had purchased it I had done a lot of upgrades. I am not in the market for a new computer at the moment. I'm not a professional photographer, but I appreciate high quality photographs. Since upgrading to Photoshop 2022, my Adobe software (Bridge, Photoshop) is extremely slow. I am hoping for advice on my system. Or maybe I should go back to an older version of Photoshop?

I have completed the info on my computer health: 

I have a Mac desktop running Mac OS Catalina and Photoshop 2022. It is over 8 years old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 715GB free out of 1000GB. The last time I shut down was more than 2 days ago. I have never run a cleanup program.

Any advice to help Adobe run more smoothly and not take forever is appreciated!

Jessie

A few things that come to mind:

1. Only 16GB of RAM. In 2022, you really want 32GB or more if possible.

2. Files and folders on your Mac Desktop. The more crap you have on your Desktop, the slower the damn thing runs. 

3. It does not matter, internal or external, the MacOS treats all HDs the same. So while you may have 700GB free on your internal drive, the EHD that’s 95% full is bogging your Mac down. You never want to go more than 75%-80% full on any Mac HD, internal or external. 

There are other things, like purchasing a clean up program that I use call CleanMyMac X but more on that later. What year/model/size is your Mac? Hopefully it’s a 27” because if it’s a 21.5”, you are kinda screwed and looking at a new computer.

Also, what video card and more importantly video memory is installed? If you never chose a better video card at the time of purchase, you are definitely screwed because today’s modern Photoshop utilizes the GPU and dedicated Video Memory for a performance boost. So if you don’t have a beefy video card, Photoshop will be a bit sluggish. So before I condemn  your computer, I need more info. 

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your reply. I have additional information in response to your questions:

- My desktop is cluttered with jpegs. I will clean that up asap.

- I didn't know that the external hard drive can bog things down. That's where I keep all of my photos. It is 2 out of 4 TB full.

- My iMac is 21.5-inch, Late 2013. May I ask whwould I need the 27"? Is this graphics card related?

- Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1 GB graphics

I cannot buy a new computer at this time, as condemned as it may be :).  Do you think it would help if I go back to an older version of photoshop and try the CleanMyMac program?

Thanks,

Jessie

One more thing... I did have a quick peek a new Macs (maybe something I can save towards). The iMac 27" and iMac Pro are no longer offered in Canada. It looks like there is a new 24" and 21.5" is still there. Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, Jessie A said:

My iMac is 21.5-inch, Late 2013. May I ask whwould I need the 27"? Is this graphics card related?

- Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1 GB graphics

This is why your Mac is slow. I'm sorry, no way around it, you need a new computer. You can't upgrade the RAM any higher AND the Graphics Card is just below the bare minimum requirements for the current versions of Photoshop. Even for a version like PS CC 2019...you are really pushing things.

Why a 27" model over a 21.5"? Because Apple purposely crippled the performance of the 21.5" iMacs. Apple has been a company that wants you to "Go Big or Go Home." You get slower Motherboards, less choices of upgrades, under-powered video cards, slower CPU Chips, slower hard drive performance, etc. etc. with buying a 21.5" iMac. Basically, think of the 21.5" iMac to be like a 4 cyl Hatchback that a Freshman in College would buy, complete with Rust. :) While it will get you from point A to B, don't expect to do anything that requires more "Umph." The 21.5" iMacs are meant for General Computing. While you can get away with things like Photo Editing in the short term, over the long term Photoshop requires more and more resources from your computer. Plus it's from 2013...that's almost 9 Years for a computer and that's a really good run. When I configure my computers, I have a 7-8 Year time-frame in mind, and you are right around that period where you need to buy a new computer; I'm sorry, there is no upgrading yourself out of this situation.

Now for the new Macs. Ugh. You should have replaced this computer in 2019 because now...a new Mac is REALLY EXPENSIVE!! Like $5200 expensive. I know the 24" looks tempting, but guess what? The current calibration devices on the Market are not compatible with the 24" screen. We had a member just buy one, use a brand-new SpyderX and couldn't get her screen to look good. So she contacted their Tech Support and they wrote back saying their device is not compatible. I'd like to recommend a 24" Mac with a few upgrades, but I just can not at this point with the Calibration thing hanging around. As of right now, if you buy a 24" iMac, it's like you are buying a 21.5" under-powered iMac all over again.

To make matters worse, Apple has refreshed all of their computers and you now have to purchase ALL of the over-priced upgrades at the time of purchase. Meaning you are stuck with what you buy. Want more RAM in 3 years? Too-Bad-So-Sad...you are buying a new computer. Need more HD space? Either buy a large Thunderbolt 3 External or buy a new computer. Here is an Article that I wrote on this very subject, give it a read. Spoiler Alert: It is a really sucky time to be in the Market for a new Mac.

Oh, if you are thinking about ditching you Mac for a Windows computer...I've got news for you, you are spending around $3000 for a computer that is "Good for Photo Editing." Gone are the days of a computer that's $999.99 that will get the job done. Not in 2022 and certainly not for several years. Since the proverbial "Cat" is out of the bag and people are accepting / paying these higher prices, then it's a safe bet to say that the manufactures will keep charging this much because they are getting away with it.

Thanks so much for your honesty - I appreciate it! I have been thinking about this and my overall disappointment with Apple now (and other companies). It really bothers me that the only options are are technologies that will end up in the landfill within 3 years rather than 8. Sad.

Yeah, the $3K plus is not in my budget. I'm thinking now about looking for a pre-owned 27" Mac with at least 32GB RAM. Or... going to film and a dark room - haha.

Thanks again!

Pay attention to the details with the used Mac Store

Do NOT buy one with a “Fusion Drive.” 1TB SSD or bust!

As mentioned above, at least a 1TB main drive.

A video card that has at least 8GB of dedicated Video Memory. Cards that are 8GB are usually the “better ones” that play nicely with Photoshop

Intel i7 or i9 is “fine.” Honestly, the video card choice is more important than the CPU. Well, stay away from the Intel i5. Too slow, you want an i7 or i9.

AVOID THE 21.5” Macs!!

8GB of RAM is fine, with the 27”, we can upgrade things for A LOT less money than what Apple charges and you will get more in the end as well. 

Look for a 2020 27” iMac, maybe even a late 2017. 

AppleCare is a requirement. Not only do you get a Warranty, but AppleCare is worth having since Apple is the only ones that fix their hardware. 

What you see in the used Mac Store is what they have. They don’t have multiples of the same computer. Think of it as a Yard Sale. If you see one you like, can afford it, BUY IT because it may not be there in an hour.