Buying a Mac in 2022

Brian

• I'm looking to buy a 27" iMac, but Apple no longer offers it. What happened?
  • What Mac do you recommend for editing photos?
  • Did Apple discontinue the 27" iMac?
  • What happened to the 27" iMac? I've been saving and now am ready to buy.
  • Is the 24" iMac good for editing photos?

Welcome to the 2022 Edition of "Buying a Mac for Photo-Editing." My inbox and recent posts here in The Macintosh User Group have been mostly centered on one topic: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 27" IMAC?!?!!

It seems people are either getting Tax Refunds or have been saving and now they are ready to buy. Unfortunately, I have VERY BAD News...

Apple has quietly DISCONTINUED the 27" iMac and it is no longer available!

Yep, you have read that correctly. For the first time since...what, 2008? 2009? Apple is no longer offering a 27" iMac and a computer that is user upgrade-able. Meaning you can not add additional RAM, replace the Hard Drive...basically do ANYTHING other than to use the computer when it was originally configured for the life of the computer! If you want more RAM in a few years time, too-bad-so-sad...you are buying a new computer! I'm not happy with this situation. At all...and I'm a Mac Guy! In fact, I'm typing this very article on my 2017 27" iMac.

So what happened?

In November 2020, Apple released the first Macs with a brand-new processor that had a completely different Architecture than the previous Processor, namely the Intel CPU Line. For whatever reason, Apple made known to the world that the new M1 Line, was the future, and the days of them using a Intel-based computer were coming to an end. The new M1 Chips are known as a ARM CPU. What is ARM? ARM stands for Advanced RISC Machines. So what's the big deal? What's the difference?

I could write an entire Article explaining the particulars that would make the average person's eyes glaze-over. But to put it in Layman's Terms, a ARM CPU is a flavor of a RISC CPU. RISC CPUs have been around since the 1990's but have never really caught on until now. A RISC Based CPU consume less power and is much more efficient than an Intel-based CPU Chip, at least on paper. Especially when it comes to Memory Management and how it is treated. Plus, since Apple is now designing and building their own CPUs, they get to save a "whole 'lotta money" without having to pay another Manufacturer or pay licensing fees for them to use another company's technology. Given the fact that the M1 chips can be used across different models, from Smartphones, to iPads, to Desktop Computers...it just makes sense from a manufacturing and cost standpoint to have a single source of chips. As we become more and more portable, and let's face it, iPhones are little computers that make Phone Calls, and we are so addicted to laptops....our needs are changing, and we want better battery life. The push towards being portable and not being chained to a desk are stronger now more than ever. The problem is, this is a completely new way of thinking. We are no longer dealing with a computer that has Intel-based Architecture; namely you need to purchase things like extra RAM, Graphics Power and even storage options because for the most part, everything is built into one chip!! 

How does that affect you and me? You are stuck with the initial configuration of your computer with no upgrade path! So let's say in 3-4 years...you start noticing your computer is "Acting Slow" or certain software is complaining that there isn't enough resources available. (e.g. not enough RAM, lack of HD capacity, etc.) In the past with your typical computer, you were able to add more RAM to provide additional resources for the software to use. This also allowed one to span money paid out over the course of several years; you can buy a computer now, use it with current software and when new software that came out in a few years required more "Horsepower" from your computer, you could purchase a upgrade to get a few more years of life out of your investment.

Sounds logical, doesn't it?

...and I'd have to agree with you.

It's my way of thinking since dealing with computers starting in 1981. (Man, I'm getting old...but I digress. ;)) Anyway, Apple is and always has been a company that has created computers that their software and hardware are completely integrated. They also like to control what they call the "User Experience." You play by Apple's Rules or you don't play at all. It's this way of thinking that Die-Hard Windows Users have such an extreme problem with. These folks seem to go out of their way to bash Apple's products and state that Windows is better because there are more choices which drives down costs and blah-blah-blah. I'm not here to debate, as this conversation has been going on since 1984 and will not be resolved anytime soon! 

So where was I going with this? Oh yeah...Apple's way of thinking. Apple is a company that wants you to "Go Big or Go Home." You get a better value and more offerings if you spend more money. Sure, they have lower-end and more "Affordable" products, but those products are often purposely crippled and frankly, a waste of money. Remember this when it comes time to choose a new Macintosh Computer.

OK, now that's out of the way, how does this affect everyone?

First, to get the most performance out of your new M1-based computer, is your software needs to be optimized for use with a M1 chip. For the folks here in Ask Damien, they are mostly Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom users. They will be REQUIRED to use the latest versions of those two programs, and at the time of this writing is Adobe Photoshop CC 2022 - Version 23.2.2 and Adobe Lightroom Classic CC - Version 11.2. Gone are the days of holding onto an older copy of Photoshop, even one as recent as Photoshop CC 2019. Nope...you are stuck using the most current version, complete with any bugs or quirks that come with that software. It also doesn't just apply to Photoshop or Lightroom, but ALL software used. So before you purchase a computer, check to see if there are any updates for them to be compatible with the M1 Line of computers. Since the M1 Macs have been out for a few years, this isn't as big of an issue as it was in 2020 / early 2021.

OK, I'm sure if you have made it this far, you are getting a little impatient with me. :)  I do thank you for sticking with me until this point. Now onto the next section and the one you all have been waiting for...

Brian!! For the love of "________!"  Just tell me what Mac to buy!?!?!!!!

This is where it's gets a little complicated.

In 2022, it is VERY EXPENSIVE now to buy a Mac that's "Good for Photo Editing..." Really expensive. Like around $5200 expensive (US Dollars.) The 24" iMac is off the table, as the 24" screen is not compatible with the current Calibration Devices, meaning...until the manufacturers update their Calibration Devices (the part that goes on the display) you won't be able to Calibrate your screen. This will pose an issue when it comes to printing photos and even delivering digital-only images. Without matching your screen to a set of physical prints, you have no base-line to judge your screen. It might look fine on your screen and to your eyes, but look like complete garbage on your client's screen or from their point-of-view.

I am hoping that this will change and we will have a new round of Calibration Tools to put the 24" iMac on the table. On paper it is "fine" for Photo-Editing, with a few upgrades, but it's just that blasted screen that prevents me from recommending them. For "General Computing?" (No Photo-Editing) Fine. Anything else that deals with Photos or Video? I would not recommend in buying that model.

So what would I buy? If money was no object, and it needs to be in 2022, this is what I would configure for the majority of Photographers: I picked the lower-cost "Mac Studio" and made a few changes. 

• Start with the new $1999 Apple Mac Studio on the left, and upgraded a few things:
    • Upgrade the CPU to the Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
    • Increase the RAM to 64GB
    • Increase the Hard Drive to 1TB
    • Ethernet Gigabit is fine for now but I'm going to talk about this in the next paragraph.
      • For folks that have Gigabit Ethernet or some other really-really high-speed Internet Connection, you might want to consider upgrading to 10 Gigabit Ethernet. I know the Xfinity that I have, and I have Gig-Speed Internet, it is now being advertised of possible download speeds of 1200mbps. The downside is your typical 1 Gigabit connection caps out at around 940mbps due to overhead limitations with 1 Gig / Standard Ethernet. If you want to go faster, you not only need 10 Gig Ethernet, but also Cat 6A Cable and your switch/router must also have 10 Gigabit ports as this will remove the limitations that come with 1 Gigabit Ethernet. Understand? For the vast majority of folks out there, the Standard Gigabit Ethernet is fine. Chances are, you don't have internet that is faster than 200-300 down or 600 if you are lucky. But if you are in a position to get more download speeds, the only way you can get around those limitations is to purchase a computer with 10 Gig Ethernet and have all devices on your "Physical Layer" that are also 10 Gig. For 99.999% of you reading this, your standard 1 Gig Ethernet is fine. This upgrade is completely optional and like I said, you will need ALL of your Ethernet Infrastructure to be 10 Gig. Moving on...

• Then add AppleCare if asked.  Yes, you want AppleCare. Apple is the only one who fixes Apple's products. Authorized Apple Service Centers are very rare in 2022.

• It should look like this:

1917594692_ScreenShot2022-03-16at10_24_18PM.thumb.png.46ddc479aab6fcb456fa5cb7718cc9c3.png

• Click Continue, this will take you to the screen where you can choose the Display
    • Pick the Standard Glass
    • Choose the Stand that suits your needs. For the vast Majority, the standard Tilt-Adjustable Stand is fine. But for those few, you might want to spend the extra $400 and get the one that is not only tilt adjustable, but height adjustable as well. I'm sticking with the standard Tilt-Adjustable Stand for this example.

53889607_ScreenShot2022-03-16at10_31_03PM.thumb.png.02bbabbebf94696f0657a66765c7eb85.png
  • Click "Add to Bag."

• At this point, you have the option of purchasing a new Mac Keyboard with Number-Pad (The Number Pad is totally worth it) and Magic Mouse.
  • Keep in mind, there are two colors, a Keyboard with Black Keys and one with White Keys.
  • Same thing goes for the Magic Mouse, there is the classic White Version and now a newer Black Version.
  • You could save a little here and use a Keyboard & Mouse from an older iMac, or purchase this one without the Touch-ID feature.
  • That said, many some people like everything to match so for this example, we will add both of the same color. I'm choosing White.

Alright, still with me? Now it's time for your Wallet to Cry-out in PAIN. The cost for all the items in your cart is now $5093.30. Depending on your region, Tax & Shipping may more may-not be added, but it will be listed. At this point you are probably looking around $5200 give-or-take a few hundred before applicable Shipping and Tax. That pains me to type that. $5200 for a Mac, that's not even a Mac Pro!! Apple really wants you to "Go Big or Go Home" and people thought the 27" iMac for $3800-ish (tricked-out) was expensive.

• Like 1

I can't afford $5200!!! Surely, there has to be a more affordable option!!

Well, yes-and-no. And don't call me Shirley. :D You could purchase a M1 Mac Mini and a LG 27 Inch UltraFine 5K IPS Display, that's an option. Or pair a M1 Mac Mini with the new 27" Studio Display. So let's configure the Mac Mini first and we will start by going to their Mac Mini Page.

Choose the $899 Mac Mini (the one on the right) and upgrade a few things. Remember, no upgrading things after-the-fact. Go Big or Go Home!!

• Upgrade the RAM to 16GB
  • Upgrade the HD to at least 1TB
  • Ethernet Gigabit is fine for now but I'm going to talk about this in the next paragraph.

• For folks that have Gigabit Ethernet or some other really-really high-speed Internet Connection, you might want to consider upgrading to 10 Gigabit Ethernet. I know the Xfinity that I have, and I have Gig-Speed Internet, it is now being advertised of possible download speeds of 1200mbps. The downside is your typical 1 Gigabit connection caps out at around 940mbps due to overhead limitations with 1 Gig / Standard Ethernet. If you want to go faster, you not only need 10 Gig Ethernet, but also Cat 6A Cable and your switch/router must also have 10 Gigabit ports as this will remove the limitations that come with 1 Gigabit Ethernet. Understand? For the vast majority of folks out there, the Standard Gigabit Ethernet is fine. Chances are, you don't have internet that is faster than 200-300 down or 600 if you are lucky. But if you are in a position to get more download speeds, the only way you can get around those limitations is to purchase a computer with 10 Gig Ethernet and have all devices "On your Physical Layer" that are also 10 Gig. For 99.999% of you reading this, your standard 1 Gig Ethernet is fine. This upgrade is completely optional and like I said, you will need ALL of your Ethernet Infrastructure to be 10 Gig. Moving on...

• So your new Mac Mini should look something like this:

1101932921_ScreenShot2022-03-24at5_19_56PM.thumb.png.03fcd142101644a570038a081e8f6a58.png

• The cost should be around $1299.00 (US Dollars.)
  • Click Continue. 
  • Add the Standard Glass 27" Studio Display
    • Choose the Stand that suits your needs. For the vast Majority, the standard Tilt-Adjustable Stand is fine. But for those few, you might want to spend the extra $400 and get the one that is not only tilt adjustable, but height adjustable as well. I'm sticking with the standard Tilt-Adjustable Stand for this example.
  • Then add AppleCare if asked. Yes, you want AppleCare. Apple is the only one who fixes Apple's products. Authorized Apple Service Centers are very rare in 2022. You want a flat rate of 3 Years of Coverage.
  • Click Add to Bag. If everything went smoothly, it should look something like this:

825472820_ScreenShot2022-03-24at5_32_56PM.thumb.png.ddde5c6f8a95052c4b90b6c6df2b34cb.png

At this point, your cost should be around $3047 or so, depending on your Country / Region. Of course Sales Tax will be involved, adding to the cost. Shipping for the most part is free, though that also may vary depending on your location. I'm living in the US, make adjustments for your situation as necessary.

What about that LG IPS Display that you mentioned above?

Yes, this is an OPTION. Though I'm seeing mixed reviews. On the plus-side, Apple helped LG develop this Display and it's perfect to use on a Macintosh Product. I've seen reports that the colors aren't as vibrant and it's not as bright as a Mac screen, but this may not be a bad thing; Macintosh Displays are traditionally WAY too bright which usually results in dark prints. The other benefit is you save about $300 or so which keeps the price below $3000.

That being said: Good Luck in finding one. This Display is often out of stock. So if you are going to go the LG Display route and you find one, BUY IT!

What about an Eizo Display? Why a Mac Studio Display is recommended but not an Eizo?

That's a very valid question. At the $1600 price-point of a Mac Studio Display, a single Eizo should be at least on-par with it, right? But here is the catch, the Apple M1 chip sends a different video signal to the display if you are using a cable other than a Thunderbolt 3. Instead of the RGB standard that has been around for decades, it seems that the Apple M1 / M1x sends a YUV Limited Range signal via DisplayPort, HDMI or if you are using some sort of conversion device, i.e. DisplayPort to HDMI. This primarily causes banding issues and in addition to these banding issues, it seems that Color Profiles are also affected, which means your colors don't look quite right. For more information, check out this article on Eizo's Website and they seem to have some sort of work-around. But in reality, Macs like a 5K Display. 4K just doesn't give you the full "Macintosh Experience" and I really don't recommend 4K displays for use with Macs.

Banding? Color Issues? While editing photos? No thank you, I will pass. Especially with an expensive Monitor like an Eizo.

As time goes on, I'm thinking more and more display manufactures will offer a Thunderbolt 3 option but it's really hard to say. This is the primary reason that I'm only recommending the Apple Studio Display and LG 5K Display at this time. One is of course made by Apple, but the LG Display was designed with Apple so it's 100% compatible and both of these displays come with a Thunderbolt 3 port. Trust me, there is a method-to-my-madness when I recommend things. More often than not, I lean towards a Conservative viewpoint, and I will purposely leave out the "other" devices because I'm not 100% sure if they will work or not. ;) 

What about a Mac Laptop? Is there one that you can recommend?

The current Mac Laptops are also M1 CPU-based, meaning you have to purchase all of the over-priced upgrades at the time of purchase, just like the Desktop Models. Here is what I would configure for a Mac Laptop that is "Good for Photo Editing."

• Head to Apple's Website and select the MacBook Pro section. As always, start with the most expensive option, usually the column on the right.
  • For Photo-editing purposes, select the 16-Inch Version.
    • Upgrade the RAM to 64GB
    • Leave the storage at 1TB
    • Everything else, leave at the defaults. Remember, you are rewarded for choosing the most expensive model. If we went with a lower-priced option, we would be upgrading other things. In the end, you would only save around $100 or so; which at this price-point is not worth it. Buy it Right - Buy it Once!

2128570429_ScreenShot2022-03-24at9_55_55PM.thumb.png.c48537a516a82205cae39f736f5614eb.png

• The cost should be $3899. Click Add to bag.
  • Purchase AppleCare for $399. Yes, you want AppleCare. Apple is the only one who fixes Apple's products. Authorized Apple Service Centers are very rare in 2022. You want a flat rate of 3 Years of Coverage.

• The cost before Tax should be $4298.00. Shipping is usually free.

1481873714_ScreenShot2022-03-24at9_58_05PM.thumb.png.cd7297522e6c803c43ab0666689cb186.png

$4300 for a Mac Laptop that is "Good for Photo Editing." Sheesh. Of course, you could save a little money and go with the standard 32GB option, that's your choice. But remember, there is no upgrading after the fact. If you have a high MP camera (45MP or more) you are really going to want 64GB. In 2022 I'd say 32GB is the Minimum that you would want for today's software. Besides, at the current price point for this laptop, spending a few hundred  more isn't THAT big of a deal.

It's only money, right?

Well, here is the 2nd Version of this Article. I'm sure over time it will be modified and the Date / Time of that I created this Article is March 24, 2022 @ 22:03. Prices and links are subject to change, so please do your due diligence before clicking "Add to Cart." Hopefully we will have another "Advanced" computer besides the Mac Studio...a true 27" iMac Replacement. But I wouldn't hold your breath. Apple is going in a new direction.  

Have a question or concern?  Please post a new question in one of the Main Hardware Forums in "Ask Brian."

Buy Brian a Beer!!
Donate

• Like 1

Anything with M1 or M2 Macs are all integrated into the CPU Chip. Separate Components no longer exist; Macs today are glorified iPads. 

When it comes to Photoshop, you really need to upgrade the Video Card to a middle range one when it comes to a Mac. RAM isn’t as important as it was with a Intel Based Mac, but since I build my Macs with a 7+ year time-frame in mind, I’d opt for 16GB RAM. HD, 1TB is still “fine,” but you can never have “too much.”

It all depends on your budget. 

I don’t see anything changing in the short term, just look at the average prices of homes in the US. For example 5-6 years ago you could get a 2000-2500 square foot home in the US for about $250,000 or so, at least by my home. Now our pricing is catching up with Canada and that same home is $500,000 or so. The ones that list for $450,000 end up in bidding wars, it’s insane. 

The era of the “$999 Special” that’s “good enough” are long gone. Buying a $999 computer and then upgrading RAM and HD Capacity a few years down the line are also over. That world does not exist any longer. Even software is switching over to a leased model. Hell, Video Games for my iPad are “free,” but keep trying sell me things over and over or else I’m forced to watch a commercial. 

Prices have gotten a little better, but I do not see them returning to Pre-Covid / 2019 levels. 

Just wanted to let you know that I've done some research and gone to the Apple store and they told me that I can use any display, not just with thunderbolt. I also contacted Spyder and they said their calibrators are compatible with the new iMacs. So these are some GREAT updates!! 

4 hours ago, Courtney Goldman said:

I can use any display, not just with thunderbolt.

Oh, you can use any display...

...what they don't tell you is that they look like shit.

That's the issue. That's why I jump up-and-down about the Displays. You are editing photos. It counts. Especially if you are charging people money for said photos. Now if you are just taking photos for you, and really don't care about the quality, just how many "Likes" and "Hearts" you get from Friends / Family, then buy whatever. Remember, Salespeople are trying to get you to spend money. I'm trying to give you the right information. For FREE. 

Yes, you can use any display, but since you are here, you are doing photo editing work, so the Display is kinda important.

I will say the new Mac Mini M2 Pro Model, with some tweaks, is really something.

1269649550_ScreenShot2023-02-05at7_40_31PM.thumb.png.c5f7a2e43e593c4d785ea850c92bce4c.png

$2199.00

That's before you add Tax and AppleCare. Plus, that's using an existing keyboard and mouse, which saves you around $400. Combine that with the Standard Studio Display for $1599, again...before AppleCare and Tax will run you $3799. I just did a quick "Add to Bag" for everything, which comes out to $4288.76. Of course, your final price will depend on your location and what your tax rate is. So conversationally speaking, plan on $4300, give-or-take, for a Mac that's "Good for Photo Editing" and should last you about 5-7 years. Or more. Basically, this Mini M2 Pro with Studio Display is very similar on how I would spec out a 27" iMac, the only difference is, that in the future, you should be able to just update the computer and save the screen, which in the long run saves money.

Here is what my shopping cart looks like:

1525670017_ScreenShot2023-02-05at7_49_00PM.thumb.png.2a9bff6c8abfd8f5eb6841610eafb916.png

Here are the specs again:

1902155131_ScreenShot2023-02-05at7_51_50PM.thumb.png.305145a90d99744a227c70a6c2b8ae04.png

Everything is more expensive now. The days of the $999 PC that's good enough are long gone. Your budget for a Windows Setup should be around $2400 or so. Figure $1800-$2000 for the computer and about $300-$500 for the monitor. Plus the cost of a Calibrator.

Macs have always been expensive. Even the original Macintosh Computer in 1984 was $2499. Adjusted for inflation, that cost would be around $6437.89 in today's money. Chances are, it would be marketed around $6499 today. Which, if you think about it, is about the cost of a Mac Studio Setup. Macs aren't "better," just "different."

Honestly, a Windows Computer will be the closest thing to your budget, so before you go buy something, check with me first. With the way things are, you get A LOT LESS for your money and you need to be careful with Windows Computers.

• Like 1