What RAM should I buy for my new Mac?

rameier

I just purchased a refurbished 2020 27” iMac.

It currently has 4 memory slots, each accepts a 2667 MHz DDR4 memory module. 2 in use & 2 empty at the moment.

I would like to purchase the best/most RAM recommended for photo editing with this computer. A direct link would be incredibly helpful for someone who has not navigated these waters before!

3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7 with 1TB HD. (I don’t know if you need all that, but just in case).

Edited by rameier
Typo

You are in a very good position to add RAM. What I would do is PURCHASE THIS 64GB KIT, and install them into the slots that the existing RAM are occupying. Then install the existing RAM into the slots are currently empty. When it’s all said-and-done, your will have 72GB of RAM. 

Plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating the process of removing/adding RAM into a 27” iMac. 

I have 64GB with my 2017 iMac and have no issues editing large Raw files taken with my D850. 64-72GB is really nice to have for editing photos with today’s modern Photoshop. Just think, Apple would have charged you $1000 to only upgrade the RAM to 64GB! 

Thank you!!

Purchased & installed!

I just started editing a bit with the new RAM installed. It seems to be very ‘laggy’, when I move any of the adjustment panel & the iMac fan seems to kick in quite often.. I’ll be honest I didn’t play around with the computer much before I installed the new RAM.

Is this something to be concerned of as it’s a refurbished Mac & I need to consider a return? Or did I possibly install the RAM wrong that it would cause this? Just a little nervous it’s ‘new’ & not seeming to be function that way..

Editing to add other functions actually seem to run just fine & speedy really! Opening programs & other operations. Fan just seems to run a lot in photo editing (& deleting-doing some purging) & then the lag in camera Raw. 

12 hours ago, rameier said:

Is this something to be concerned of as it’s a refurbished Mac & I need to consider a return? Or did I possibly install the RAM wrong that it would cause this? Just a little nervous it’s ‘new’ & not seeming to be function that way..

First, take out the original Apple RAM and see what happens. I'd also re-seat the Crucial RAM. We need to isolate is it the Crucial RAM and Apple RAM not playing well together?

11 hours ago, rameier said:

Fan just seems to run a lot in photo editing (& deleting-doing some purging) & then the lag in camera Raw. 

That is usually the video card working harder. How many images do you have open? Do you have a high MP camera? Are you editing in 16-bit mode? 

Photoshop uses the Video GPU and Video RAM for a performance boost. You might want to see if "Use Graphics Processor" is checked in your Performance Settings.

285176383_ScreenShot2022-04-07at7_37_36AM.thumb.png.4e629eb851fa46cfaf5adda91a260468.png

Actually, since this is a new Mac, follow these instructions:

Setting up Adobe Photoshop

Well, I had another problem that arose last night. As I deleted a significant number of  photos in Bridge, my ‘System Data’ storage continually grew & grew. The more I deleted, the more room that particular storage took (up to 313.56GB). I ended up working with Apple Support & reinstalled my macOS system. Got the ‘System Data’ back down to 41.18GB. This is another hiccup that is causing concern on this refurbished Mac though. In your opinion should I be thinking about a return?

I did follow the instructions for setting up Adobe Photoshop. The only question I have here is that when I went to the advanced settings after checking the ‘use graphics processor’ box, my advanced settings seemed to be different. I noticed in the article it mentions not to change anything. However, the image included is what my setting options are. ‘Use OpenCL’ is unchecked & I seem to be missing a number of options compared to the example. Again I wonder if this should be of concern to me?

After the reinstall & Adobe setup there is still lag. Next step I will isolate the RAM, but might be this afternoon before I get a chance for that. 

21A2A304-A0E4-43E3-8664-91FAE584022B.jpeg

Yeah, Adobe changed things on me, I need to update that article. This is what mine looks like:

266239439_ScreenShot2022-04-07at4_56_56PM.thumb.png.a1220ebdcfca30fa38f557aff396d901.png

Try it. If it doesn't work, or causes issues, you can always change it back. This is the real secret on how I fix things; I poke around. LOL!!

7 hours ago, rameier said:

This is another hiccup that is causing concern on this refurbished Mac though. In your opinion should I be thinking about a return?

Honestly? I would actually bring it to a Genius Bar, have them Nuke the HD and install a fresh MacOS. But I'm thinking now with the current Macs, you should be able to delete the existing partition, then re-install a fresh MacOS. If you are still having problems after the fresh install of the OS, I'd return the Mac. Or if you are running out of time you might want to contact Apple about returning things.

One thing I'd like to point out: Do not mention the Crucial RAM!!! Apple will have a "Field-Day" and blame everything on the Crucial RAM sticks. Mouse battery died? Oh...that's the Crucial RAM causing issues. Mac won't power on because it's unplugged? Oh...the Crucial RAM caused that! 

Apple's Tech Support needs to tow the company line. Even though Apple buys their RAM from Micron, who are the ones that make Crucial's stuff, because it doesn't have a stupid sticker with an Apple Logo, it's the Crucial RAM's fault.

Ah, yes, I did presume not to mention the NON-Apple provided RAM & to remove if I took the device in 😆 figured that wouldn’t fly with those ‘geniuses’.

Well, I have till the 13th technically to submit a return, but it’s where I’m leaning toward at this point. For some reason the lag in Camera Raw seems to persist no matter what I try. Isolating the RAM, using only Cruical & using only original, reseating, etc. The macOS reinstall, also uninstalled & reinstalled Photoshop. I still have my old 21” & there is no lag in the adjustment panel whatsoever (opening the image, saving anything & everything else is another story). 
Plus the whole ‘System Data’ issue after owning for a few days makes me uneasy with this ‘new’ one..despite that seeming to be settled. 

Ugh. 5k & M1 is such a turn off lol. Guess I’m onto see if I can figure out if I can wrap my brain around a PC option. I’ve started diving into the threads on here, but I’m sure I’ll send for confirmation on a purchase in due time. 

Super appreciate your expertise & guidance! Beer money on the way!

If you do end up going with a M1 Mac, you will need to be using the latest-and-greatest version of Photoshop CC. No PS CC2019 for you. CS6? Ha! Forget it.