Extending background

lsin

Hello,  i am trying to extend the background of this picture, and have tried cloning but i have 4 issues, 1) the end of the basket is slightly chopped off, 2) i seem to loose all texture in the rug and 3) the shadows in the rug are killing me - one side ends up really bright and the other really dark! Is it better to replace the background completely or how can i go about fixing this? I have also attached a photo of the basket without the baby but it is not chopped off (even though it was taken at same time, lighting is slightly off)

9Q8A3844Overhead basket.jpg

9Q8A3838Overhead basket no baby.jpg

Wonderful!

So, you'd do your raw processing on these two photos so they match:

On 9/2/2016 at 3:46 AM, lsin said:

9Q8A3844Overhead basket.jpg

9Q8A3838Overhead basket no baby.jpg

Then you'd combine them, so that you got the bottom of the basket.

Then you'd also process this raw file so it matched:

5 hours ago, lsin said:

9Q8A3947Rug 1- RAW ADJUSTMENTS.jpg

And use it to fill in the missing corners of the rug in the main photo.

If you need help with all that combining stuff, go ahead and do your raw processing first, then post the photos again for me.

First, I extended the Canvas Size of the main photo a bit.  Then I File>Placed the basket photo on the main photo.  By lowering its opacity, I was able to use Ctrl T to transform (scale and rotate) it so it lined up as perfectly as possible.  Then increased the opacity to 100% again:

lsin1.thumb.jpg.617700d053abd237ecc18304

Then I added a mask and masked it in to that immediate missing area down there.  It was a little too light, so I also clipped a Hue/Saturation layer to it, and fiddled with the sliders until it was roughly a suitable colour.  I also had to mask that Hue/Sat layer a bit, because it needed more darkening on the left than the right:

lsin2.thumb.jpg.1a14e6a9a6fab9d7de34a7a5

Then I File>Placed the rug photo.  It was a bit too in-focus, so I blurred it a bit.  Then I kinda positioned it in one corner, rotating it a bit to make the fabric flow as plausibly as possible:

lsin3.thumb.jpg.2a56a964d1d3e4ba0b5a7ce5

Then masked it in, and again, clipped a Hue/Sat layer to make it match suitably:

lsin4.thumb.jpg.2718cb99974ddfb465092d5c

Then repeated the same process a couple more times, to fill in all the space:

lsin5.thumb.jpg.95d9bea87b7173cff2c26802

• Like 3

ok, sounds doable enough, i will give it a go! Never used File > Place before!  to blur the rug, did you use lens blur or gausian blur?

Can i see the PSD file please? thanks!

quick question, when you extend the canvas size. do you use a fixed ratio size that is suitable to printing later (like 5x7, 10x8 etc) or do you just extend the bottom half and resize later for final output?

11 minutes ago, lsin said:

Never used File > Place before!

Depending on your version of Photoshop, you might see the option for "Place Embedded" or "Place Linked".  Use embedded.

You'll find examples of File>Place here, here, here, here and here.

15 minutes ago, lsin said:

to blur the rug, did you use lens blur or gausian blur?

It's Gaussian.  You should be able to see it in my screenshots.

16 minutes ago, lsin said:

Can i see the PSD file please? thanks!

No, it's really huge, sorry.  Too big to upload.  Just follow the steps I showed you, you'll do fine.

3 minutes ago, lsin said:

quick question, when you extend the canvas size. do you use a fixed ratio size that is suitable to printing later (like 5x7, 10x8 etc) or do you just extend the bottom half and resize later for final output?

No, just give it a good chunk.  More than you think you'll need.

OK, Silly question, how to i turn "free transform" off? i cannot deselect. i cannot add a mask as i am unable to get rid of the handles

Just now, lsin said:

OK, Silly question, how to i turn "free transform" off? i cannot deselect. i cannot add a mask as i am unable to get rid of the handles

ok, never mind, just got it

1 hour ago, Damien Symonds said:

It's Gaussian.  You should be able to see it in my screenshots.

Can i ask what settings you used for the guassian blur? Also, i see in the screenshots, that the gaussian blur is inserted via smart filter - how do i do this? i cant see any option for smart filter (photoshop cc)

13 minutes ago, lsin said:

Can i ask what settings you used for the guassian blur?

My settings are completely irrelevant, because I was working on a different size file to you.  Just play and see what looks most suitable.

14 minutes ago, lsin said:

Also, i see in the screenshots, that the gaussian blur is inserted via smart filter - how do i do this? i cant see any option for smart filter (photoshop cc)

You don't need to do anything special.  Just apply Gaussian Blur to the smart object, and it will automatically do it as a smart filter.

ok,, first attempt - its awful isn't it?? i lost all shadows - how can i improve it??  i also tried to insert the full rug to replace the background instead of inserting 4 corners separately (see 2nd picture) - is that a big no no?? does it look like the basket is just floating above the rug.. its alot more difficult than i thought...

2016.02.13 9Q8A3844 4 corners of  rug as smart object.jpg

2016.02.13 9Q8A3844 full rug as smart object.jpg

Hi Damien, i am really really struggling with this edit. When i try to place the 4 corners of the rug, i find it impossible to get blur / hue/saturation right and it looks silly with very obvious lines where the different colours are. When i try to replace the rug in its entirety, i cannot get shadows back to look realistic. 

Here is my attempt at replacing the entire rug and masking out the shadows in the original pic. as you can see there is huge colour difference in the bottom left hand corner. I have tried using dodge and burn to darken the area but nothing happens (is it because it is blank space underneath where i extended the canvas??) and when i use clone tool to clone the shadows down to the end of the picture, the clone tool does not do what i want it to do and selects areas that i do not want to clone... 

Please can you help (Again!!)?? 

9Q8A3844 - rev4.jpg

here it is. as i meantioned in my post above. i tried to replace the full rug rather than the four corners and then mask off the areas for the natural shadows. I have done no other levels work yet as dont see the point until i fix background!

layers panel.jpg

how is this? still not able to match colours exactly.can still see a ring around the basket where new and ol drug meet. i used a really large brush (pretty much size of basket)

9Q8A3844 - rev5.jpg

layers panel rev 5.jpg