External hard drives failing

FidoPhoto

I know EHDs fail. I expect it, but I've had two 3 TB G-Technology drives fail in the last year and I don't think they're more than a year or two old. Is this normal? And what do you recommend I buy as a replacement? I'm pretty sure my old MyBook drives lasted longer than these.

My experience has been the direct opposite. I've had more Western Digital My Books fail than G-Drives. I do know that during the floods in Thailand affected A LOT 3TB Hard Drives that were made in that period. For a time, Seagate Hard Drives were being made in Western Digital's manufacturing plant, and vice-versa. It was that bad. Since G-Drives make the enclosure, but use other manufacturer's hard drives, it doesn't surprise me of your situation. Especially with 3TB EHDs. Honestly, I recommend G-Drives, but usually 4TB models. 4TB and higher capacity models don't have the same high failure rates as 3TB models.

Now this is a stupid question, but are you ejecting the EHDs before pulling them out of the USB port?

Of course! I turn them off when I'm not backing up to them and always eject them first. My main EHD is a 4TB G-Drive with Thunderbolt and it's been great. I'll get two new 4 TB G-Drives to replace the ones that have died. I don't need to spend the extra for Thunderbolt, do I?

The Thunderbolt version of the drives also has a USB 3.0 port. Totally up to you if you want to go the non-thunderbolt version. I would though, is to get the "professional" version on G-Drives if you do. Not the less expensive models. You want to spend over $300. Yes, it sucks because that is expensive.  

• Like 2