Desk Utility with Ext. Hard Drive

Sam165

Hi Bryan!  I have been using CleanMyMac X since you advised.  Everything great except something with my one ehd.  So I went to disk utility and First Aid on my iMac.  It says "First Aid process failed.  Unable to unmount volume for repair."   What does this mean?

Thanks!

The MacOS is based on a operating system called Unix (pronounced you-nicks) that dates from the 1970’s. In order to do a file systems check on a HD, it needs to be unmounted first. A Mac computer does not differentiate between a internal hd or external one. That’s why you do not want to go more than 75%-80% full on any HD, internal or external. 

Before we get into running First Aid and why it couldn’t un-mount, why are you running First Aid? Second, how is this external HD partitioned? Is it the stupid exFAT or is it the MacOS Extended (Journaled). Let me know. 

Hi Brian, I thought I'd check in and found an old post that is applicable to me today.  This same thing happened today on an ehd.  I was doing a First Aid because in Clean My Mac, it failed to check this hard drive.  It is MacOS Extended (Journaled).  I am not sure if this is the same ehd as in April but thought I'd better contact you.  Thanks