2017 iMac 21" fubar???

Sam165

Brian, this is a SOS.  My computer is shutting down on its own and I just can't do much at all with it now.  I ran Clean My Mac earlier today with no problems.  The report says CATERR detected!  No MCA data found.

Anything I can do??

What do you have hooked up to your Mac? Any HDs? External Displays? Stuff like that. 

The CATRR error is a critical error on the Intel Based Motherboards. The cause could be the motherboard itself, or something as simple as a Video Adapter that goes to a external display. Other times it’s a faulty EHD or bad RAM. Hell( the power supply could be dying on you. 

So what I would do next is unhook any external devices and see what happens. I will warn you, no diagnostic software seems to detect this problem. So the Genius Bar won’t help and they will blame it on the Motherboard or any 3rd party RAM. So you are going to have to play detective; this problem is just a Pain in the Ass to deal with. 

Yes. Give them a call. Be sure to have a copy of the Sales Receipt/ Proof-of-purchase handy. Do not send them the original. Also, that TB3 drive should have USB 3.0 ports. The problem might be with the Motherboard and the TB3 ports specifically. Try the USB side and see what happens. 

Try the other drive on the TB3 port for a few days. If it doesn’t crash, contact G-Drive. It should have a year warranty at the very least. Fortunately you can get to the drive via USB to transfer your images to the new drive.

Also, you can hook up the drive to the TB3 port again to produce the error message. Then snap a photo with your phone. You want as much evidence as possible and tell them it seems to be an issue with the TB3 port on the drive? It works fine via USB and you other G-Drive works fine on the TB3. Basically you just want them to swap out the drive. 

Some of them might have a 5 year warranty. Here is info:

https://www.westerndigital.com/support/store/warranty-policy/g-technology

Sandisk owns Western Digital, and WD owns G-Drive.