Upgrade from Catalina to Monterey 12.6

Upnorth

Brian,
I've attached the specs on my iMac.  I currently use Photoshop CC and wanting to double check to ensure bugs have been taken care of with the upgrade to Monterey before I take the plunge.  I searched your forum before hand before asking this so hopefully it's not another one of the same questions.  
Safe to take the plunge now to Monterey?

Your insight is much appreciated!
Gwen

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 1.59.29 PM.png

Honestly? I would stay right where you are. Unless you have an absolute NEED, like a certain software package needs Monterey to run, I wouldn't bother upgrading. I have a 27" Tricked-out 27" iMac from 2017...64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, similar video card, and I'm on Catalina.

If you are looking to do something to help with performance, I WOULD UPGRADE THE RAM. In fact, I would purchase TWO of these Crucial 16GB RAM STICKS to increase your RAM from 16GB to 40GB. (If you want to go the Full Monty, buy 4 of those sticks and increase the RAM to 64GB.)

Why not upgrade? You really aren't missing much. Unless you have a brand-new Mac / Mac Laptop, current iPhone 13 or 14, current iPad, current Apple TV, etc. AND you use Apple's software primarily...THEN it's worth upgrading. For a 2017 Mac with a Fusion Drive? "Meh..." If all you are doing is wasting time on FB, watching way too-much Netflix, paying Bills and keeping up with e-mail, there really isn't a huge benefit.

But in the end, it's up to you. If you do take the plunge, make sure you are on the latest-and-greatest version of PS CC. Versions from 2020, Hell...even 2021 are too out of date as of this point. As far as Monterey...it's at version 12.6 and those versions tend to be pretty stable.

Thank you Brian :)  So appreciate your knowledge and thoroughness!  My system is running fine except for the Mac going out of sleep mode by itself so figured it was the time to think of updates.  All my other software programs are up to date, like safari, Photoshop CC, etc.  I will be updating the RAM when ready.  Very much appreciate having a way to communicate with you and your unselfish insights.  Your time is valuable and just know it's appreciated.  
thank you :)
Gwen

• Like 1

I just now saw this.  Thank you Brian!  I have it saved.  I have a 2019 iMac though, but probably not much of a difference, yes?  

I saw this this morning on my iMac to update my CC PS and now not compatible now with Catalina.  So looks like we are upgraded soon.  Have you done yours yet?  Always worried when I do software updates!  
656371337_ScreenShot2022-12-09at12_53_38PM.thumb.png.9000c4a3115c24b555370da8813343ca.png

I was having problems with my 2017 27” iMac and decided to upgrade to Big Sur. I have been happy with my choice so far and at this point, Big Sur is a mature OS. 

Monterey seems to be geared towards M1 Macs, for obvious reasons. For people like us that have Intel Macs, Big Sur is more than enough. By the time we would “need” Monterey, we would be upgrading to a new computer anyway. 

I still would upgrade your Mac to at least 32GB first, then upgrade to Big Sur. To upgrade to Big Sur, head to this link via the Safari Web Browser. (It is REQUIRED to use Safari in order for this to work.) Anyway, head to that page in Safari, and click the Big Sur Link. This will open the App Store and take you to the Big Sur Download Page. Click "Get" and follow the prompts.

972062580_ScreenShot2022-12-10at12_34_34PM.thumb.png.cc6bbcee989bc9b981d8752ff2945f8c.png

I was just going to ask how to go about upgrading to a specific OS.  THANK YOU!  

Question regarding my memory, it states to use a 2667 MHz DDR4 memory module.  You had sent me a link for a DDR4 2400 MHz SO-DIMM?  

Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 12.21.36 PM.png

12 hours ago, Upnorth said:

Question regarding my memory, it states to use a 2667 MHz DDR4 memory module.  You had sent me a link for a DDR4 2400 MHz SO-DIMM?

Sorry about that. I found two RAM kits, one from OWC and the other from Crucial, which is a bit more expensive. Sigh...welcome to 2023!  Either one should work fine with your current RAM, I'd just install these two sticks in the slots that your current RAM modules are occupying and then take the two existing ones and move those to the empty slots. This should get your RAM to 72GB, which is fine for the majority.

12 hours ago, Upnorth said:

I do have my OS backup with Time Machine.  Do you recommend a clean up file to run on my iMac before I upgrade to Big Sur?

I always recommend doing a little housekeeping before upgrading the OS. The first step is to trigger a Full Manual Backup to your Time Machine Drive. When it's finished, I'd eject it and power it off. Call me old-fashioned, but I'd rather have my drive physically disconnected and / or powered off so I'm 100% sure that it hasn't been touched by the new OS, just in case I need to nuke the HD and restore back to the previous version of the OS.

The second thing to do is ensure you have the latest version of CleanMyMac X and run it. With utillity programs such as those, you MUST keep them up-to-date. I've seen multiple members here complaining on how CleanMyMac "Messed their computer up!!" only to find out that they were using CleanMyMac 2 or CleanMyMac 3 on a modern OS. With utility programs such as those, you can not hold onto that software for years and not update it. By doing so will screw up your computer; 6 year old software and new modern OS do not play well together.

So start by killing / moving everything off your Mac Desktop. Prune your Downloads Folder (You'd be surprised on just how much crap is in that folder) and then run CleanMyMac X. Then upgrade your RAM and then tackle the OS upgrade. Do one thing at a time. Be deliberate and methodical, not willy-nilly upgrading things without thinking. ;) 

Thank you Brian!  Your right memory has sure went up but it beats buying a whole new machine!  Thank you for your research and in providing the links for me.  I'm on it!

I'll look into the CleanMyMac and get that going.  Good point on making sure your software is up to date!

Very much appreciate your insight into all of this - makes it less of a fingers over my eyes and hope for the best upgrade!  LOL

CleanMyMac X from MacPaw is what you want. You can download it and have it scan your computer, but in order for it to clean anything, you will need to buy it. 

This program has also switched over to a yearly subscription model, like Anti-Virus software, which is good as it keeps you up to date. 

Hello Brian,
I'm continuing on this thread as it has all the info we previously talked about.  I'm now running Big Sur as seen below.  I'm getting CleanMyMac X shortly - doing everything I steps and of course as one can afford.  Once I have cleaned everything up.  I will be buying memory.  However, I did run across that the maximum memory my iMac can do is 64MB so I cannot use the old memory to make it a total of 72MB?  I'm running this by you so I know I'm thinking right (sorry you have to hold my hand - so hate upgrading as I know enough to be dangerous).  

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 5.17.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 5.15.01 PM.png

My Sierra Web Browser is no longer allowing me to access some pages so I'm moving them over to Chrome.  I would like to upgrade to Ventura, but feel it will bog down my system???

4 hours ago, Upnorth said:

iMac can do is 64MB so I cannot use the old memory to make it a total of 72MB?

2017 & 2019 iMacs Max out at 64GB of RAM. 2020 iMacs go up to 128GB. You might, and I use the word "might" very loosely, be able to get your iMac up to 72GB, but there is no guarantees from me or Apple that it will be stable. Honestly, I wouldn't push things above 64GB. (There isn't a whole lot of difference between 72GB and 64GB; now going from 16GB to 64GB...BIG DIFFERENCE.) If you do decide to push your luck...you are on your own. No help from me. ;) 

The trick with upgrading RAM is to have ALL of the Memory Sticks matching, so I'd recommend purchasing two 32GB kits, which is a quantity of four, 16GB RAM Sticks. So slots 1&3 have 32GB, and slots 2&4 also have 32GB (16GB in each slot) bringing your RAM total to 64GB. Here is the RAM Kit that you need. You will need TWO of these kits, and they are $71.99 each. Simply remove the existing Apple RAM, set it aside and then install all four 16GB Sticks. Then put the Apple RAM in the packaging that the 16GB sticks came in and store them.

Here is a YouTube Video Demonstrating the process. The only thing I don't agree with is you want to touch something METALLIC, not Wood, to discharge ANY Static BEFORE handling the existing RAM or the replacement RAM. Simply touch the metal Mac case first and you should be fine. At this point in the game, I'd just pull the existing Apple RAM and install a set of 16GB Sticks. Do it once and be done with it.

4 hours ago, Upnorth said:

I would like to upgrade to Ventura, but feel it will bog down my system???

Yeah, I'm not going to recommend Ventura for Intel-based iMacs. Ventura is really meant for M1 & M2 Macs, which are the modern models. I'm happy with Big Sur and use Firefox myself. I never use the Safari web browser. :D  Keep in mind that Big Sur has an update, and the most recent version is 11.7.6 AND there is a Safari Update as well:

ScreenShot2023-04-17at10_23_40PM.thumb.png.39ca6a88d5240ea386d481698b638f20.png

I will be installing both of these tonight.

One of the gotchas with Ventura and Older Macs is the USB ports...Ventura kills speed. It's a known bug and there isn't much of a work-around. Some people are affected more than others. Especially if ANY HD isn't formatted to the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Partition Type. If it's anything else, thing come to a Snail's Pace when you copy files to the drive.

In my humble opinion, Ventura just isn't worth the hassle being installed on a older Mac. Now if you had a brand new Mac, sure...use Ventura.

Thank you Brian for all this info.  VERY much helps!!  Question is on the memory.  You sent a link for the memory kit but mine is calling for 2667 MHz???  I just want to make sure I get the right ones?

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 11.59.44 AM.png

Definitely staying away from Ventura!  Thank you for the warnings!  Now I just have to find those updates that you have posted and I'll be upgrading both my Big Sur and my Safari!  

Thank you Brian - I did research - they do not make a 2667. shhht - why Apple list that as what you need - who knows.  But I went ahead and ordered 2-kids from B&H.  I want to thank you for your help!  If you ever need used spare memory - give a holler!  The least I can do for all the assistance you offer!  

LOL - I order 2 kids . . . . good lord I have enough problems myself!  I ordered 2 KITS!  Also, just an FYI in case you run across it again, once I upgraded Big Sur to the 11.7.6, Sierra came up today and I was able to update.  So all is good with the world.  Have CleanMyMacX installed and ran through - much better program then what I had, plus received 40% discount as I gave up Trend Micro (bad program).  Again, thank you.  My memory comes tomorrow so I'll plug the sticks in and store the old ones.  

Awesome. Yeah, that "2667" is the macOS being stupid. It's really 2666. :) 

Since you ordered two "kits" all 4 sticks of RAM will match, so  you don't have to worry about any incompatibility or performance issues. That's the biggest thing with RAM; all of the sticks like being "matchy-matchy" for the best performance AND they need to be compatible with your motherboard. The kits I linked to are fine and what you should be using.

One thing to keep in mind with programs like CleanMyMac X, they need to be current at all times. If you let them get out of date, bad things can happen. New OS + Outdated CMM = Big Problems. Fortunately, MacPaw has changed over to an Annual Subscription fee, which ensures you have the latest version. Trust me, forking out $40-ish per year is A LOT cheaper than dealing with the headaches that would come from a corrupted OS. Most of the people who have issues are using CleanMyMac 2 or 3 with a modern OS. You can't do that.

Enjoy your purchase. Your Mac will run SO MUCH SMOOTHER with 64GB of RAM. It is a night-and-day difference between 16GB and 64GB.

• Like 1