Suddenly no HDMI cable to my monitors

Brian,

I am experiencing a strange issue where suddenly my pc is saying there is no HDMI connection to my monitors. It is not allowing me to actually see my monitors. I have swapped the hdmi cables with others that are working so no idea what could be the issue, aside from my Dell support expired on 1-9-23. Any suggestions? I've tried to start my pc in safe mode and it doesn't do anything, just shows the error message that the timing is off on the display and that I need to change that, well I'd happily do that IF I could get into my computer. I was trying to clear browsing history the other day and when I finished there was a solid green screen on my main monitor and then nothing since. I don't want to HAVE to renew my warranty (I'm still within days of being able to do so) if I don't need to. Any suggestions? I have a custom made Dell XPS 8940

1 hour ago, Brink101112 said:

HDMI connection to my monitors

Monitors...as in two monitors?

Have you tried just hooking up one to see what happens? It's very possible that the one with the green screen is dying and it's not a problem with your computer. Especially if one display is attached to the other. We need to simplify.

Try swapping things around and get back to me.

OK I did try just hooking up the non-green monitor and same error messages. So I checked with my laptop and each screen is fine connected to that, so I'm thinking it has to be a some kind of issue with the settings in the pc but not allowing me to gain access. I checked with my work monitor and it says "no DP signal from your device"

I just tried plugging my work monitor into the single HDMI port above where all the display ports are located, seems to be working with that so maybe it is that other section of display ports? I'm going to try plugging it in to the other monitor to see how things go. 

When I plug the hdmi cable into either monitors from the row of display ports on the back of my tower I get the following error message. "Dell SE2717H The current input timing is not supported by the mnonitor display. Please change your input timing to 1920x1080, 60Hz or any other monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications. "  Which is odd because if I plug it into the single HDMI and other port (I think it is VGA because it has curves on both ends of the cord and connection port) Then it works and says it is at that 1920 timing when I checked display settings. So funky. I just think it is bizarre that all of my display ports go out at the same time 10 days after my warranty of 2 years runs out. I'm down to pay the $160 if needed to get another year of coverage or is that something I could have my son in law swap out for me? For now, I'm ok using them as they work with the single ports, they are not running in tandem. One monitor to each port, formerly DP. I had to take a picture of what the ports look like, one has ++ on top of each other with what looks like a solid D with a P inside (I'm assuming Display Port) and then the plug beneath that is HDMI, but then I have a row of 3 HDMI ports and 1 of the angled on both sides ports. It may have been going out for a while because there have been times that I have left my pc on and came back and had to shut it off because nothing would show on the monitors. That has been happening for a couple of months. I just thought it was me being lazy and not shutting it down. 

It sounds like you have an issue with the Video Card. Could you take a photo with your Smart Phone of the back of the computer with all of the ports?

You do not want to use the 15-pin VGA Port on your display. VGA is an analog signal, that has been around since 1987 and meant for CRT (Tube) Displays up to about 20", not today's fancy flat-screens. Especially for someone who is editing photos!

The issue is, we could replace the video card if it's separate from the motherboard. The bad news is, we might have to upgrade the power supply to support the new card. So as much as it pains me, $160 is A LOT cheaper than blowing $700 for a video card and another $150 or so for the power supply.

Post a photo here of your computer's monitor ports. I want to see what you have.

From this photo, the ports that are closest to the Power Cord is your video card and what you should be using. From left to right, or bottom to top, is DP - HDMI - DP - DP. 

If you are forced to use the ones that are the two by themselves, that is an issue. Something happened to the video card or something got screwed up in Windows. You should be using that video card. If you have been using the two ports themselves all this time, that’s a problem.

In addition, there are DIsplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cables. So if your Displays only have HDMI ports, you will need those adapters. 

So what happen when you hook up your display to that HDMI port on the video card? 

I got the adapter cables you told me to get when we set it up, not the rounded ends on both sides but I think just for data ports, I've been using the DP not hdmi DP dp for my monitors the whole time. So down by the power cord. 

Displays have the HDMI port if that is the one with rounded edges at both sides. It's worked beautifully until just recently like 2 days now. Well, with the exception of the just frozen off and won't show the screen if I have left it on, it doesn't awaken if that makes sense when moving the mouse around. 

I'm still on Win 10 but you bring up a good point, could it be an update?

“Rounded” is VGA. “Diagonal” on both sides is HDMI and DisplayPort has only one Diagonal side. What displays do you have can you take a pic of their ports? 

Stop using Rounded. :) it’s messing with my brain. 

The Displays this type of port. Which I had plugged into the DP sections of the 4 in a row not the individual ports above. If there is a port type of adapter that I need, let me know and I'll pick it up for sure. 

IMG-3098.jpg

I truly appreciate your help with this as well. Just wanted to let you know how much it means to be able to ask these kinds of questions when I have no idea what I'm doing computer wise. 

I did go ahead and purchase the extended warranty. It didn't even occur to me that it could be something wrong when my computer didn't "wake up" when I moved the mouse or hit the enter key. 

In the interim if I should have some type of adapter, I'd love to pick that up over the next couple of days. I know where BestBuy is and I'm not afraid to drive there! Or I'm totally down from ordering from Newegg or Adorama if needed. I hate to admit it but I even order stuff from Amazon. (that should be an audible gasp because I work in the trust & safety team reviewing counterfeit items and accounts with bad intentions for eBay. 

In the above photo, the Port on the left, where your have a   \ ____ /    is a HDMI Port.

The one on the right is a 15-Pin VGA Port. (The one with the three lines/rows of pins and the screw-in connectors) AVOID USING THAT 15-PIN "ROUNDED" PORT. That's the one I'm talking about with today's modern flat screens. You want to use either a HDMI Port or a DisplayPort.

OK, now for the bad news...

I've run into your problem before. It's a Pain in the Ass to get fixed. Sometimes, either Windows or your computer gets confused, and it will ignore the Video Card and only work with the ports that are built into the Motherboard which makes you think the Video Card is dead. So going forward, these are the ports I want you to use:

136486623_ScreenShot2023-01-22at10_37_58PM.thumb.png.9d0ef0b39a63cfd8c0f6d33fb75a8e24.png

From Left to Right in the above photo, the Ports are DisplayPort | HDMI | DisplayPort | DisplayPort

Got it?

We need to get ONE Display working. Don't worry about the 2nd one, I want to see if that Card is working / being recognized by the computer. We might have to call Dell on this one if we can't get it working.

Now I need to know what cable did I tell you to purchase. I need to know both of them, particularly the Port Types on the end. Oh, are both of your Displays the same model? Or do you only have one Display and I'm misunderstanding things? 

Both of my display monitors are exactly the same. Dell SE2717H.  They have been independently connected directly into the display ports in the photo above. 

I have the HDMI>Display Port plugs to connect the monitors into the display ports on the bag co the computer. They came with HDMI/HDMI port cables and you told me to go grab the ones that had Display port ends. (with one slant on one end (display port connection and 1 with the 2 slants, hdmi) on one end. Not explaining it to you but confirming that I now understand what you're saying and that it was what we needed to use. 

My pc has updated a few times over the past few months and I have no idea what upgrades were done or installed. 

I have tried just trying to get one of my monitors to work on that strip of ports in the photo above to no avail, none of them work to get any signal to the monitor. 

So it is now fixed!!! I was able to chat in with the Dell support team, and they did some magic witchery while remoting in and it resolved the issue with my monitors. He updated a few other things as well that were needed and asked if I wanted to update my Windows (before immediately doing it of course) I feel like  a kid in a candy store because now my amazing video card is still functioning, I know they can go bad over time, but this is much better. 

I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo appreciate your help which kept me off the ledge this weekend. Now I'm good to go and will get back to some editing and even photographing!

Absolutely and honestly, if I could have bought a 4-5 year at the start I would have. I'd rather pay someone to fix something on my electronics than try to mess with it myself. The person was very kind and just wonderful, I left them an amazing review. 

One more thing. Your USB Ports. See the two Mouse / Keyboard Dongles (Thingys)? See how there is a SS above each? Those are USB 3.0 Ports.

1843805583_ScreenShot2023-01-24at7_48_17PM.png.25b10ba6842bd2d886f83b55bfab5441.png

That's a complete waste of those faster USB Ports.

They really need to be in the USB Ports below the Ethernet Port:

1468418750_ScreenShot2023-01-24at7_50_23PM.thumb.png.c990fbbc48d7ac168d98af3b83045d25.png

These USB Ports are 2.0 Ports and are meant for a Keyboard / Mouse.

Save the USB 3.0 Ports for External HDs and Calibration Devices and such.

Thanks, I will remember that when I am saving stuff to my external hd, I've been doing it from the ports on the front of the computer. It looks like the ones on the front are USB 3.0 ports so I'm good to keep using those with my external hard drives. Thanks, I have moved the mouse and keyboard dongles to the 2.0 usb ports. 

• Like 1