Screenshots on Macbook are now "unsupported file types"?

Kelly Greer

I send a lot of screenshots via FB messenger and email and Chrome messages texting. Got up today, and every single one says, "Unsupported File Type" now.  Can't send in any messenger.  Tried emailing the file instead to open on my phone - nope.  Won't open.  Tried opening in PS and saving as jpg.  Still says it's unsupported.  Restarted Chrome.  nope.  Tried giving Chrome more permissions in settings. Nope.  Tried old screenshots I've had and been sending for years - NOPE.  

Running Catalina 10.15.7

Chrome Version 110.0.5481.77 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Thanks for any insight! 

Oh look, couldn't put a screenshot here, either.  Put it in PS and renamed it with jpg, and it uploaded here.  

wtf.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 10.57.04 AM.jpg

Hmm. I have no idea. Has Photoshop updated recently? Can you try going back to an older version?

If regular screenshots aren’t uploading, I’m wondering if your Catalina is corrupted or you might have an issue with your HD. 

What happens if you use Firefox? 

How old is your Mac? 

I had deleted all other browsers to save space.  Just re-downloaded firefox, and the screenshots work fine there. 

Know what I *did* do yesterday?  Re-download Clean My. Mac, Run it, and Update Chrome.  

Got this macbook pro in Sept 2019

16 hours ago, Kelly Greer said:

Just re-downloaded firefox, and the screenshots work fine there.

So everything works as expected with Firefox?

Know what I *did* do yesterday?  Re-download Clean My. Mac, Run it, and Update Chrome.  

Did you update Chrome or did you let CleanMyMac do it for you? If CMM did it, chances are it screwed things up. I'd un-install and re-install Chrome. This isn't the first time that I run across Chrome being stupid. Once I had to format and completely redo a Windows Terminal Server, JUST to get Chrome working. (The customer only wanted to use Chrome.)

I get that Chrome is fast, but it's a pain-in-the-ass when it breaks.

311 GB free of 1 TB

Time to move some files to a EHD. You never want to go above 70%-80% Full on ANY HD, internal or external, when it comes to a Mac. Once you do, weird things start happening and performance takes a hit...but I don't think that is the problem now, I really think your Chrome is screwed up if things work in Firefox.

I let CMM do it for me.  I just uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and all is well - minus my tabs, but I have a tab-hoarding problem, so it's ok.  ;) 

Just cleaned out my downloads folder 2 days ago.  I'll move on to all the other files I don't need this coming week.  

Thanks for your experience & expertise & time!  I appreciate it!! 

15 hours ago, Kelly Greer said:

I just uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and all is well - minus my tabs, but I have a tab-hoarding problem, so it's ok. 

My wife and I had this same exact conversation...

1695714282_ScreenShot2023-02-11at11_58_46AM.thumb.png.4d174ab388e89be402a43feb4f37d593.png

Source: Hedger Humor

So it's not just you. Even her iPhone has a bunch of Tabs. I had to increase the RAM on her computer, just to support all of the open tabs!! Also, Chrome is still a bit of a memory hog; each tab you have open is a chunk of RAM that's occupied. So if your computer is really dragging, close out some browser tabs. Firefox is a bit better in this dept. :)

Oh! One more thing, you might want to use CleanMyMac to free up Purgeable Space. It may not be much, but it could be a chunk of files. In a nutshell, Purgeable Space are usually temporarily files that the macOS has no idea what to do with, so they are dumped all together doing absolutely nothing. CMMX >> Maintenance >> Select Free Up Purgeable Space and Run it. Oh, after you clear this up, do a "Repair Disk Permissions" as well. I do both of these Monthly.

1450529288_ScreenShot2023-02-11at12_02_01PM.thumb.png.d29549f3ead295c73dc1689a965440a9.png

Thank you!  (I did decide at least 6 tabs didn't need to be reinstated.)

Also, the next day, Chrome started acting up again.  Sigh.  Firefox is still fine.  

So, please riddle me this.  Having both Chrome & Firefox open will be a HUGE memory hog, right?  I like that Chrome syncs to everything, because I have a Samsung phone, but this is just silly. Just switch to Firefox and say FU Chrome? 

(I have a friend who can't stand open tabs.  I occasionally send her screenshots [ha] of all my open tabs.)

• Haha 1

Yes. Each Tab you have open is like having a separate browser open. So 60 Chrome Tabs is like having 60 Chrome Browsers loaded. Well, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea. Chrome eats RAM. Having a bunch of Chrome Tabs open plus Firefox AND Photoshop is some serious RAM usage. Like you need 64GB or more of RAM type of usage and for you, maybe even a 2TB main drive and I never-ever recommend a 2TB main drive. 

People love their Chrome. I don’t get it. Google reads everything that you do and makes money off this info.  I use Firefox.

Now since Chrome is acting up there might be some OS issues in which case things can get messy and upgrading to a newer OS will be the easiest way to fix things. That’s how I went from Catalina to Big Sur. 

I loved Firefox for a long time...I feel like I switched to Chrome because it wasn't color-managed, maybe?  But now it is, right?  Who can resist a red-panda browser?

2nd - Is Big Sur a safe upgrade now?  For Photoshop CC?  If so, I can definitely do that.  I just wait until you say it's good.  :P 

I am certain that I allowed Clean My Mac to delete something I shouldn't have.  ::shrug:: 

On 2/15/2023 at 12:42 PM, Kelly Greer said:

I feel like I switched to Chrome because it wasn't color-managed, maybe? 

Actually, Firefox is the one that's Color-Managed by default!!!

Chrome kinda does it.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:42 PM, Kelly Greer said:

Is Big Sur a safe upgrade now? 

Yeah, I haven't had too many issues. You will need Safari to upgrade though. Copy and Paste the following URL in SAFARI ONLY!!!

It will not work in Chrome or Firefox or Edge or whatever other browser you can think of. Safari only!!

macappstores://apps.apple.com/app/macos-big-sur/id1526878132?mt=12

That link should open the App Store to the following Page:

1322170442_ScreenShot2023-02-15at11_55_51PM.thumb.png.d6c323028863e1f4ff36f14a962f2ece.png

Click the Get Button, download Big Sur and follow the prompts. Keep in mind this file is just over 1GB large, so depending on your internet, it could take awhile. I'd also clear up more space than three hundred gigs. I'd shoot for around 500GB free before doing anything.

When I use Clean My Mac, I don't mess around too much with it. The Smart Scan, Clear Purgeable Space and Repair Disk Permissions work fine. It's when you allow it to do "Stuff," like update programs do you run into problems. With these Utility Programs, you have to treat them delicately, and don't always take them at face value. They also must be current as well. CleanMyMac that's a few years old version-wise will definitely lead to problems.  But I think using it to update Chrome caused all sorts of issues.

Don't do that again. Chrome updates Chrome and it usually does it on its own. Often CMM will say it needs to update Chrome and it's already current, which screws up stuff.

• Like 1

One more thing!!

To check your version of Chrome or Firefox or whatever, open the browser and head to the Chrome / Firefox Menu and select "About Google Chrome" or "About Firefox," etc. The very first window that appears will tell you if you are on the current version or not. If you aren't, simply click the update button or change the option to auto-update. (Click the arrow on the right next to the line that says, "Automatically update Chrome for all users" if you need to change it. But this should be turned on by default.) 

1086144702_ScreenShot2023-02-16at2_21_29PM.thumb.png.f13d5454d9cba796fc14cea02cf3a976.png

• Like 1

😇 🙌 Backed up computer, got up to 590 gb free, upgraded to big sure, updated chrome via chrome, and all is well again in Kelly-land!!  

Thank you, AGAIN, for your help and expertise!! 

Big Sure.  It's like a Big Shrug but more meh. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Catalina to Big Sur isn't a huge jump. More like a refresh, which is a good thing. They've also worked out all the bugs by now, sans a few security updates here and there. I plan on staying on Big Sur until it comes time to replace my iMac, the M1 & M2 Macs really benefit from the current OS, not Intel Based Macs.

• Like 1