< Go back to the previous step    << Go back to the beginning

Brightness

The next page is Brightness, which you're already familiar with.  Tweak as necessary.  Don't forget to dim your room lights at this point, if you can.

Calibration

Then comes the calibration process where it reads all the colours, just like before.

Save the profile

After a custom calibration, I like to name the profile with the two targets I used.  In this example, I calibrated to D65 and 80:

CCD44.thumb.png.5f26b0204c2ddc67bdb349611e41b4cb.png

Check the graph

After a custom calibration it's more common for the lines of the graph to be separated at the top, like this:

CCD45.thumb.png.56c4770a990b2e53e9228cb976232811.png

If the separation isn't very big, it shouldn't be a problem ... but it can be.  Bigger separation certainly can be a bigger problem.  This separation is why I like to avoid custom calibrations if possible.  It might mean that while the midtones of your photos look good, the whites don't look so great.  But it might be something you have to live with.

The newer and better quality your screen is, the less likely this will be a problem for you.

As always, feel free to post a screenshot of your graph below for me to take a look at.

Print comparison >>