New Mac - Post Keynote

Brian,

I see your recommendation for purchase from March but wondering if your stance has changed since the Apple Event this week.  I am currently working with what you helped me buy years back  27in iMac, 1TB SSD, 40GB Ram 3.7 6-core i5.  I have an external G-Drive HD for photo-storage and then back up on a secondary plus cloud with iDrive.  Photography is my hobby and I am an accountant by day.  I work with a remote desktop connection to my firm and clients that may be going to the cloud soon.  So, in looking to upgrade now, I need to take both uses into consideration.  Trying to keep budget at $3,000 if possible.  I will get around 10% discount for military through Apple that will roughly offset sales tax.  Also wondering if I need the Apple Display or if I should go with something else like LG or Samsung.  Sad that the 27 in iMac is no more but feel I may be frustrated with a 24 in unless maybe I could use a second monitor but that is rough with remoting in.  Thoughts?  Thanks so much in advance.

Amy

6 hours ago, amyjo415 said:

Sad that the 27 in iMac is no more but feel I may be frustrated with a 24 in unless maybe I could use a second monitor but that is rough with remoting in.  Thoughts? 

Yeah, I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat with my 2017 27" iMac. Going forward, we will both have to pay more money than we would have liked, but in the long run we will save money. By buying a separate display, opens up options down the line. Spend the money now on the Apple Display, and have WAY more flexibility upgrading the computer if need be. As fast as the AI stuff is working its way into Photoshop, and the more horsepower is required, by having a separate computer allows you to just update the computer in a shorter time period. The downside is, you are in the market sooner rather than later, but on the upside, you don't always have to go with the "Overkill" configuration. But I'm me, :D so "SuperFast" or "Overkill" configurations is what I buy.

I have used Jump Remote Desktop with my Macs, and that program works extremely well. Much better than the Microsoft Remote Desktop. They even have a iPad version that hooks up to a Windows Terminal Server flawlessly, so much that I have a Pediatrician's Office using a bunch of iPads with their Windows Terminal Server instead of laptops. Hell, the App even works on my iPhone. I can't say enough good things about that program. It's $35 currently and is money well spent.

Trying to keep budget at $3,000 if possible. 

This is going to make things extremely difficult. Why? Because you are coming from a iMac, which has a built-in screen. Which leads me to the next part of your question...

Also wondering if I need the Apple Display or if I should go with something else like LG or Samsung. 

Yes, if you want to have the "Apple Experience" that you are used to, YOU NEED TO PURCHASE THE APPLE STUDIO DISPLAY. (I HATE typing that statement, but it's true.)

The reason is, Apple decided that the HDMI Video Port produces a different Video Signal, so your typical 3rd party display won't look right, especially for when editing photos. I've touched on this with my "What Mac to Buy in 2023" Article and mentioned the Technical Bulletin put out by Eizo, which make high-end fancy displays all by themselves. Even their fancy displays don't look that good on the new M1 & M2 Mac lines. Judging by Apple's history, this is intentional; just like they crippled the 21.5" iMacs and now 24" iMacs, which I do not recommend for photo editing. General use? They are fine, but as soon as you throw true editing into the mix, I'd rather you spend your money somewhere else and not waste it. Yes, it sucks that the Apple Display costs so much. But you really don't have a choice, and I feel this is intentional. Hell, Apple is being forced to switch to USB-C over in Europe and Apple is trying to make it for the people that use 3rd party cables, that the transfer speeds are slower. Use a Apple Cable? You get full speed. See a theme here?

So what about LG? I'm sure you've heard of people talking about the LG Monitor that Apple helped develop. Does it work better than an average Display? Yes. Is it as good as the Apple Studio Display? No. Is there THAT much of a price difference? Also no, it's about a $300-ish difference. From reviews of people that I follow online and know in real-life, EVERYONE of them regrets buying the LG. Usually I get the opinions of, "...it's OK, I guess. I really should have went with the Studio Display." "It's not the usual 'look' that I'm used to with my other Macs, I should have spent the extra $300." "I was looking to save money, and went with the LG. If I had to do it all over again, I just would have bought the Apple Studio Display." 

See a theme here? It's not worth wasting $1200 only to "save" $300. KWIM? Buy it Right - Buy it Once.  

So what to buy right now? You don't need to spend the extra money on a Mac Studio, the M2 Mac Mini, but the high-powered one, works just fine for Photoshop and what you want to do. I just did a quick configuration, and here is what I chose:

ScreenShot2023-06-07at8_14_36PM.thumb.png.f19e50078e8f175f863a556561be87b3.png

The cost before AppleCare and Tax is $2199. You will either need to use the existing Keyboard and Mouse that you have, or will have to buy new if you need to go that route. The Larger Apple Keyboard with the built in number pad is totally worth the extra $30. But you are an Accountant, just like my Wife, so I'm sure you already have this keyboard. The good news, it's a choice and if you use the ones you have, you save a little money.

For the Mac Studio, you don't really need to go wild with that model, since you aren't doing any real 3-D Rendering, dealing with memory intensive Music Apps, or editing Video. For the Professional Creative Types, I could see them buying a Mac Studio. For the average Photographer who is editing still photos? Nope. Save your money. Hell, put those savings towards a new Mouse & Keyboard. Here is a quick config of a Mac Studio, and no...for Photoshop work, you don't need the M2 Ultra Chip, for the reasons I just stated. Granted, I did upgrade the Video GPU a little bit, and made damn sure I have at least 1TB for the main HD, but in order to take advantage of what makes a M2 Ultra Chip so fast, is Photoshop needs to be programed to take advantage of it.

Personally, I don't think you will see that great of a ROTI by going with the more expensive Mac Studio. I'd buy a tricked out Mac Mini and get the Studio Display. Then you can decide down the line if your next computer will be a Mac Studio or not.

So without further adieu, here is a Mac Studio I configured: 

ScreenShot2023-06-07at8_18_10PM.thumb.png.9e84eef7b0d03b191f87edd32dd6631a.png

It's $2799 before AppleCare and Tax. 

Oh, just in-case you are wondering, the Standard Glass, 27" Apple Studio Display with tilt-adjustable stand for $1599 is FINE. If you want to spend the extra $300, I can't stop you as you can't go wrong with either, but I'd just get the Studio Display for $1600 and call it good. (Plus AppleCare and Tax.) Don't bother with Adjustable Stands, I'd rather have you get a VESA Arm that will allow you to really move the display if you need to.

Sidenote: As a Test, purchase a Apple Studio Display for your main editing Display, and then get a IPS 27" 4K Display for your accounting work. Granted, the two displays won't look even and it will drive you nuts, but I totally get why an Accountant would like two 27" Displays.

Wow!  Thank you for so much advice. Yes, absolutely have a keyboard with numberpad.  Might upgrade but ironically, just took this out of the box after my original died. This one was still boxed from my last iMac purchase. 

I have realized budget has to go up. Looking more towards $4,000 total now. With the specs of the Studio verses Mini, what is making the Studio higher in cost?  Looks strictly to be processor. Is it that much faster?  

I am also trying to grasp the difference in Ram of my iMac versus the M2 machines. Apple Genius tells me that my 40GB doesn’t remotely compare to the 32GB of the M2. Is this due to it being integrated so working as one, for lack of a better term, it is faster? 

Studio Display is going to be a must, I believe. I just went to the Apple Store to look and you are right. I think I would be frustrated if I don’t go with it. I do not love the nano-texture. Maybe it is just me but it dreamed to hinder the vibrancy to me. Or, I am just spoiled and don’t like change at something I am staring at so much. Thoughts on refurbished if I want to save money?  Thank you again!!!!

1 hour ago, amyjo415 said:

Looks strictly to be processor. Is it that much faster?  

Yes. It's the design and Cores of the Processor. The more you have, the more compilations it can do, and the faster things compile. Since you are editing still photos and not video, and playing with spreadsheets, you don't need a "96 Core CPU" (or whatever.) That's like buying a M1 Abrams Tank when all you need is a Honda CRV to get you around. :)

am also trying to grasp the difference in Ram of my iMac versus the M2 machines. Apple Genius tells me that my 40GB doesn’t remotely compare to the 32GB of the M2. Is this due to it being integrated so working as one, for lack of a better term, it is faster? 

Pretty much.

32GB of RAM on a M2 Mac is more along the lines of 64GB on a Intel Machine, conversationally speaking. The Processor accesses and uses the RAM very differently than a Intel-based Chip, so you have to get away from the old way of thinking. Unfortunately, with the current M1 & M2 chips, there is no upgrading after the fact, since everything is built into one single chip; the hard drive, video GPU, RAM, and Processor are all one chip. So if you need to "upgrade" anything down the line, you are buying a new computer. Since the RAM is treated so differently, you do not "need" as much as you would on a Intel CPU. So 32GB is perfectly fine in 2023. Like I said, it behaves more like 64GB on a Intel Mac.

That said, the new Mac Studio allows you to upgrade the HD, provided it's a Apple or authorized Apple HD. I really haven't looked into the particulars, but at least with the Studio and Pro, you have a storage upgrade option. BUT! it's not as great as one would think. A 1TB main drive is FINE. That G-Drive you have? Will work just fine with the new Mac, provided it's formatted and partitioned correctly. The current macOS versions do not like exFAT or NTFS partitions, but since it's a G-Drive, I'm 99.99999999999999999999% sure you will be fine. They usually come Mac-Formatted out of the box.

Thoughts on refurbished if I want to save money?  Thank you again!!!!

IF you purchase a refurbished model from Apple Directly, go for it. Just make sure you get AppleCare on it. Also, whatever you see for sale on "Apple's Used/Refurbished Market" Web Page is what they have in stock at that time. So if you see something you like, can afford it, BUY IT!! Because someone else may buy it tomorrow, or later that afternoon. Going the Refurbished Route is a great option, and like I said, as long as you get it from Apple directly. 

Refurbished Mac Deals

Now, to get my recommended configuration with the Mac Mini, chances are you are buying that new. But! There might be a chance you can get a Studio Display for a little less money to help with the budget. Here is one such Studio Display - $1359. That's about $240 off, which if you think about it, is "Free AppleCare" once you purchase it. You still are paying around $1600, but AppleCare is included at that price when you add it. Make sense? 

Thank you for all of your help.  This is what I landed on: 

Apple Studio Display became a no-brainer.  I found it cheapest at Nebraska Furniture Mart but Amazon was close (letting you know for others that might want one).  Both had them for the $1,350 range new.  I decided to go with the regular stand and at a later time I will get a second monitor and possible one that will work vertically on VESA stand. I was more focused on the primary than a secondary which would almost certainly be used primarily for work (spreadsheets, accounting software, PDF).  I may find a lower quality picture (not 5K) monitor for that one.

I decided on the Studio.  At this point, spending this much, I decided to go for the extra RAM.  Hoping to get many more years out of it by doing this.  Also kept 1 TB to be consistent with what I have.  Without cleaning up my current hard drive (which I very much need to do), I still have over 400 GB available.

I also grabbed the magic keyboard just for touch ID.  I will keep my current as a backup.

You recommended Jump Remote Desktop above.  Looking to the future, do you know if it allows true use of physical dual monitors by the one remoting in?  As in, if I have dueal but the computer at the remote location does not, can I still use it? 

Thank you again!

Amy

9 hours ago, amyjo415 said:

Looking to the future, do you know if it allows true use of physical dual monitors by the one remoting in?  As in, if I have dueal but the computer at the remote location does not, can I still use it? 

Yes. That's called a "Virtual Display." More info here:

https://changelog.jumpdesktop.com/virtual-displays-pbTZC

https://changelog.jumpdesktop.com/new-multi-monitor-experience-for-fluid-4aUVfq

Enjoy your purchase!!