Graphics cards

Hi Brian. I need a new graphics card for my 10 year old HP 420Z workstation in order to run the newer versions of photoshop. Are you able to do a "Dogs bollox", "middle of the road", "bare minimum" recommendation/comparison? (BTW, in the  UK, if something is "The Dog's Bollox" it's "simply the best".

Many thanks in advance.

Tom

You are looking at a new computer first, I’m afraid. The problem is, you not only need the graphics card, I like the NVIDIA 3070 / 3070Ti or 3080 Graphics Cards that are using the NVIDIA Studio Drivers, but you also need a power supply to go with it. I’d recommend somewhere around 850 Watts. 

I can not justify putting that amount of money into a computer that 

1. May not physically fit inside your case

2. May not be compatible with your Motherboard. 

If your computer was say from 2019 or so, I’d say it’s worth it. So unless you are determined to upgrade the graphics card, I recommend the NVIDIA models I mentioned above. :) Also, it’s been awhile since I’ve deal with a HP 420Z, do you know if the Power Supply is proprietary or not? I still say buy a new computer or downgrade your Photoshop until you can get a new one. 

The whole point of buying a workstation was that it would be upgradeable... Although I'm always happy to be told that I'm wrong and it's time to throw in the towel 🙂  I'll check out the spec of the power supply.

I'm using PS 2019 very happily but would quite like to get with the times and have a play!

Thank you so much for your time.

Kind regards

Tom

Sure, you can upgrade, but 10 years is still 10 years. Perhaps a new motherboard, power supply, video card, etc.? LOL! It’s also a HP, and sometimes HP likes using proprietary items, like power supplies. 

How about this, try a NVIDIA 3070Ti with 8GB Video RAM and a new Power Supply. If it doesn’t fit, you have two components to put towards your new computer. :)