< Go back to the previous step    << Go back to the beginning

Colour not right

I know I’ve said this before, but I have to hammer it home again. NEVER underestimate the effect your surrounding light has on the way your photos appear. You’re on this page because your screen and prints differ in colour. Before proceeding, I need you to make a frank appraisal of the light in your room. If it’s too yellow (which is the most common problem) it will make your prints appear yellow, and therefore cause you to conclude that your screen’s calibration is too cold.

If you think, or even suspect, that your light is the culprit, take steps to rectify it. Get whiter bulbs if you can, or at least try assessing your prints in daylight. I would hate to be wasting your time with all of these calibration adjustments if the calibration wasn’t actually the problem.

If you’re sure the light is ok, read on …

What setting to choose

Since your screen itself doesn’t give you any flexibility, this is the only avenue available to us – the white temperature targets of the i1 itself. Remember how we chose “Native” the first time? Did you write down your Native result from your first calibration?  I hope you did, because you need it now.

This gets a tiny bit confusing.  The White Point targets are listed as "D" values - from D50 to D75.  But your calibration result was given as a "K" result - remember how mine was 6657K? Well, you simply divide the K value by 100 to get the D value.  My 6657K screen is roughly D66.  If your screen was 8193K, that would mean roughly D82.  I hope you get the idea.

So figure out the "D" value of your screen, then ...

• If your screen needs to be cooler to match your prints, choose the next highest D target.
  • If your screen needs to be warmer to match your prints, choose the next lowest D target.
  • (Or if you screen needs to be a lot warmer, maybe choose an even lower target.)

So if, for example, my D66 screen was too cold, I'd choose the D55 target for my next calibration.

CCDM-09.png.952f162a8cd7b5c333ca653223bc0b9b.png

I hope this makes sense!  Please comment below if you need assistance.

Special note

If you have calibrated several times and none of the presets work exactly right for you, you can get more precise.  Choose "Temperature" to reach this screen:

CCDP-m06.thumb.png.68e341bb5f3c184236828a737bea3e4f.png

Then use the slider, or the text field, to choose a specific colour target.

Extra special note

If you have tried custom temperature calibrations and it's STILL not right, there is one more avenue of adjustment.  It's super-complicated and super-frustrating, but if you're up to it, read the following detailed instructions:

Spoiler

If the screen is too pink or too green

I was hoping that the previous steps would give you a happy result.  But maybe even when the warmth of your screen is just right, there will be a lingering problem with pinkness or greenness.  This problem is less common, and it’s darn fiddly to overcome.  For some reason, all the standard calibration settings only concentrate on the warm/cool axis.  When you examine the presets, you’ll see they all follow a straight line between warm and cool:

xy-animation.gif

To take control over a green or pink problem with your screen, you have to manually choose specific target co-ordinates.

First, you have to take note of the X and Y co-ordinates from your best calibration so far:

CCDP-m07a.thumb.png.f1ba12609f5377196e2abc19a3d29069.png

Write them down:

xy-2.jpg

(Yes, I know the numbers in my screenshot don't match the numbers on my notepad. Please forgive me, I'm borrowing from a different screen's results.)

Then choose “xy Value” from the menu:

CCDP-m07b.png.f96f03e2a88d399cc3d057618c4b9743.png

And you’ll see it gives you precise control over the co-ordinates:

CCDP-m07c.thumb.png.9cd0f8b25667ac78da9f12689e1c6153.png

It’s time for you to tweak the numbers (then recalibrate to check the results).

xy-5a.jpg xy-5b.jpg

WARNING: I’ve found that a little goes a long way.  Don’t make big adjustments, or your calibration will be outrageous!!!  Generally 0.005 or 0.01 at a time is enough.

In my case,  I needed my screen to be a little pinker, so I lowered the Y value and raised the X value slightly.

CCDP-m07d.thumb.png.b3a981ef8268bb252cc73543693d8534.png

Whatever values you choose to try, make sure you write them down!

xy-7.jpg

Go ahead and run the whole calibration process again with your new targets.  Then compare to prints and see how you went.  It’s very likely that you’ll need to do this a few times before you get it right.  When you’re finally happy, make sure you write down your X and Y values somewhere permanent!  You’ll need them again next month.

Re-calibrate >>