Brush not showing

I don't know why my brush thumbnail is not showing on the Options bar. There is a greyed checkered space as if transparent.  Any type of brush I choose is not shown, even though the stroke thumbnail is ticked in the drop-down of the brushes. 

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 3.49.33 pm.png

2 minutes ago, Sandro said:

I don't know why my brush thumbnail is not showing on the Options bar. There is a greyed checkered space as if transparent.  Any type of brush I choose is not shown, even though the stroke thumbnail is ticked in the drop-down of the brushes. 

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 3.49.33 pm.png

That sure is weird.

Is it like this on every photo you try opening?

3 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

That sure is weird.

Is it like this on every photo you try opening?

I just tried opening another 3 jpeg photos on the same program and it's the same. When I click on the drop down I see the brush thumbnails but the chosen one doesn't show.   I opened and closed Elements and again no thumbnail stroke. I reset the tool brush and no luck

I have a Mac laptop running Mac OS Catalina and Elements 22. It is over 6 years old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 247GB free out of 500GB. The last time I shut down was more than 2 days ago. I run a cleanup program about once a week.

I have sorted the issue by reinstalling the program after having signed out of creative cloud. Somehow Adobe kept track of my Photoshop elements settings. Possible? Even if I reset the settings from preference settings it did not give me the default setting but kept producing the workspace I had followed from your notes and the missing stroke thumbnail of the soft brush selects, until I signed out of creative cloud as last resort.  

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 9.51.32 pm.png