Storage and file keeping

i have a storage question. I use 2 internal HD to store and back up my photos, both are nearly full (170gb left). Once I edited the photos and the client has chosen the ones they want. I delete all the RAWs I didn't use. I keep all the ones I edtied (RAW, xmp & psd) But now I am at a point where I need to delete more. Do i keep the RAW file or the PSD file, or just the jpgs. I don't think I ever will go back and re-edit.

Always follow the 3-2-1 rule of backup: at least three copies of your files, on at least two different types of media, with at least one copy off-site.

Internal HD, plus external HD, plus cloud backup, for instance.  Or internal HD, plus external HDs on site, plus a few external HDs off-site that you switch regularly to upload files onto.

• Like 2

I keep the raws on SD cards until they are edited and the client has they disc with their choosen files. My 2nd internal HD runs independently, I see it like an external one. I have my program and system (C) drive. Then my files I work with are on a different drive and my back up is again on a different drive. I guess I should just invest into cloud storage :/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoZolg said:

I keep the raws on SD cards until they are edited and the client has they disc with their choosen files. My 2nd internal HD runs independently, I see it like an external one. I have my program and system (C) drive. Then my files I work with are on a different drive and my back up is again on a different drive. I guess I should just invest into cloud storage :/

Yeah -- what happens if there's a fire at your home/studio while you're in the middle of editing client work?  Or a break-in, with your computer stolen?  I know that's a remote possibility, but a good backup system has you covered no matter what.

(And I love having simultaneous cloud backups of my work on a continuous basis.  I have cloud backups of my edited files no matter how far I am into editing a session.)

• Like 2