iMac keeps halting half way through Restart

Amanda C

Brian, firstly it's good to have you back. I've missed you.

I have iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)  and I'm on OS X El Capitan version 10.11.3.

Every time I try and do a Restart,  it stops about a third to half way along the progress bar (might be after a software update or I just feel it needs a restart).
I then have to do two or three further restarts by holding down button (at back on left) for 3 or 4 seconds. Sometimes it starts after just one further restart, sometimes it takes two or three, stopping at the same place on the progress bar before it finally completes the restart.

And then of course when it does finally restart, I get the message that it wasn't closed down properly.

Any clues to what is going on and how to rectify?

Amanda

It sounds like a kernel extension is hanging up somewhere or is corrupted. The possible solution will have to be done from a command line via the Terminal, but I'm not 100% convinced that this is the problem. I'd start by running a Malware Scan and maybe shut down some of the auto-load apps, like the Adobe CC Updater/Control Panel thing, Dropbox, Amazon Cloud Service, stuff like that. Basically close all the things next to the clock, then try rebooting. If it gets better, then we know that a software package is hanging up things. If not, it's probably something to do with El Capitan. Oh...what a PITA El Capitan is. I'm hating this OS more and more each day.

Malwarebytes for Mac

The other thing you could do, and you aren't going to like this, is we create a bootable thumb drive with the Mac OS, boot from it, Nuke your HD and re-install everything. I do realize that this is curing the patient by killing them, but a fresh OS on a clean HD is always the best option. Upgrading from an older OS can leave you open to problems.

When did you notice this problem happening?

Sorry for delay in replying. I noticed this started happening about six to eight weeks ago.  I'm going to show all your advice to my partner, as he knows more about the workings of Macs than me. Will let you know as to progress.

Also, I have a new problem which is when I leave it in Sleep mode overnight with various programmes open, it has invariably crashed when I wake it up in the morning. Either every programme that was open has to be force quitted, but occasionally a small Application like Calculator might still be running. Never anything important like Photoshop. I've run Permissions repair, but doesn't fix it.  I know I should probably Save and Quit everything, and probably even Shut Down every night, but very often I'm working late and suddenly need my bed and can't be bothered. More fool me! Any clues?

Welcome to El Capitan!! Aren't you glad you updated? 

It sounds like either the OS is corrupted or the latest round of OS updates didn't install correctly. 

That format the HD and doing a fresh install of everything seems likely. 

Oh bugger, hate thought of fresh install.

i remembered something else about the crashing most mornings. We have 3 Users set up on my Mac (I'd rather nobody else used it at all, but family seem to like mine more than their own!) and my User ID does appear to crash more often after one of my family have switched User after I've gone to bed (leaving programmes like PS and Lightroom open). Could that cause all my open programmes to crash when I switch back to my User ID in the morning?  In other words should I ban them all! 

Yeah, it could be that your user ID is corrupted. Try creating a new one and see if that works better for you. You really should close out your programs once you are done. Bouncing back and forth between profiles with stuff left open is just asking for trouble. Of course, occasionally is fine, it's just not good computing habits in my humble opinion.

Edit: The more I think about this, the more I feel you have corrupted software / profiles. I would seriously start backing up everything, including Actions and Brushes, just in case if things go horribly wrong. Corrupted profiles aren't any fun. ESPECIALLY if your profile is linked up to an iCloud account on Apple's servers. I just don't think that there is an easy way out of this, you might have to schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar or wipe the computer and start over to get things really fixed.

Thanks Brian, of course not what i really wanted to hear, cos I am as lazy as....!

And  I know I should be closing down programmes, and I have already started to try and remember to do that. It's pure laziness and in view of what has just happened with my son's MacBook (new post to you about it), I would be a fool to ignore this.

Getting an Apple Genius Bar appointment for a iMac or a laptop in London is a nightmare. I discovered that they hardly allocate any appointments because their allocated time slots are never long enough. We live very close to the huge Apple store at Westfield and the girl told me almost all the appointments are for iPhones and iPads as they are quicker and easier to fix. When you go online to book an appointment you have to specify device, and soon as you put in iMac or a laptop it just says in every London store that 'no appointments are available'. I do need one though, because also my stand for the iMac is faulty and it tips forward - they told me it would have to go away (for a free repair) for two weeks - how can i be without it for two weeks. I use it for work. It's only just two years old and I feel like getting a new one!

Try to find a local authorized Apple repair shop. They might be easier to work with. 

You could also try calling Apple and see if they have any suggestions. 

• Like 1