GPU

Kelly Greer

Hi 👋  Me again. This error started popping up yesterday. I went and read the posts you have on it. I already turned off auto-updating last month, per our previous conversation. I'm assuming this is just warning me of what we already know for the future?

However, should I have Automatic graphics switching turned off? 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-11-09 at 7.51.24 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 12.04.42 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 12.05.32 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-11-09 at 7.59.21 PM.jpg

4 hours ago, Kelly Greer said:

However, should I have Automatic graphics switching turned off? 

YES! - TURN. THAT. OFF.

If you turn that feature on, it tells your Mac Laptop to automatically switch to the low-end & under-powered graphics card to save power. Basically, when you unplug it or the battery gets really low, it will switch. Then Photoshop gets cranky because it wants to use the more Robust Graphics Card (Some Laptops have TWO GPUs!) because...duh! It's faster and better.

Things like Liquify and Adobe Camera Raw primarily use the Graphics Processor to work, NOT the CPU. So if Photoshop disables the Low-End Graphics Card, you will get error messages and things won't work right.

Remember "Today's Modern Photoshop" requires FOUR THINGS:

1. Fast CPU (Intel i7 137000K or better)
  2. Enough RAM (I recommend 32GB or more)
  3. 1 TB HD
  4. A Beefy & Fast Video GPU with at least 8GB of dedicated Video RAM. (More is always better.)

The days of "I just upgraded to 32GB so it should be fast enough..." are OVER. Or the "I got lots of Gigabytes on my HD, so I should be fine." That thinking was so last-century. Photoshop is getting more-and-more bloated, especially with all of this AI Crap they are adding.

• Like 1

See next to Graphics? You have TWO Video Cards in your MacBook Pro. One is for long battery life, the other is when you want to do important stuff, like edit photos.

You want Photoshop to be using the Radeon Pro 555x 4GB Graphics Card.

Have done.

My computer has been running slow in ACR. I think I need to roll back a version (maybe did one too many updates before I stopped.) I found where to download 14.5 (I'm on 15.5), but installing it did nothing. 15.5 is still coming up. Help? :D 

Now the next step is...

Open the Adobe CC Mothership App and TURN OFF AUTO-UPDATING!!!

Stay where you are Photoshop Version-wise.

I PROMISE!! PINKY SWEAR PROMISE!!! It is much better for you to actually learn how to properly edit in Photoshop, then to have FOMO on not having the latest AI Tool. Seriously. Photoshop at its core has not changed THAT MUCH since CS6. It's all the fancy tools and bloatware that Adobe adds in order to keep people hooked on a subscription model. While that is great, a end-user needs to keep on top of replacing their computers every 36 months or so to keep Photoshop happy. Moreso if they don't get the more beefy hardware at purchase in which case that number drops to 24 months for every new computer.

That gets expensive.

• Like 1

Yup. It's been turned off. I must have done one too many manual updates just on ACR, believing them when it said it was just support for new camera models. ;) I'm happy where I'm at, with my 4 year old computer that cost plenty. Thank you for all of your help.