CF Express and SD card reader

Sam165

Hi Brian,

I couldn't find anything about a card reader.  I now have a camera that takes both CF Express Type b and SD card.  Do you have a recommendation for a card reader for Mac?

Thanks so much.

Sony XQD/CFExpress Type B Memory Card Reader

I have the XQD Only Version of that Reader and it's served me well for the past 5 years. The SD Card Reader, any will do; the ones that come with Macs are the best that 6 cents can buy. :)  So while you can use a SD Reader in a Mac, virtually ANY external Card Reader will be better.

3 hours ago, Sam165 said:

I couldn't find anything about a card reader.

You mean the Article with a title of, "What Card Reader do you Recommend?" :D

Now keep in mind, the What-to-Buy Articles ALWAYS are out of date. Things I recommend may nor may not be available, so you might have to search a little. That said, this Card Reader is still available. Honestly? My D850 takes both a SD and a XQD / CFExpress Type B. I have never used the SD Card, maybe like once. I'm always using XQD Cards just because they are WAY faster and are built like tanks.

Hi Brian.  I purchased the SanDisk ImageMate PRO card reader you recommended above.  I am having to use it on my laptop as my desktop computer does not have a usb-c connection.  Too old (2017).  So I plug in the reader to my laptop so I can transfer my card info to a usb and then take usb to my desktop where I would work on the images.  My laptop is a MacBook Pro 15", running Big Sur 11.7.6.  I can access only the SD card.  The CF express card doesn't show up.  Any suggestions, so I might access the info. on my CF card??  Thank you.

If you purchased this Sandisk Reader, that's Compact Flash, NOT A CF EXPRESS slot. CF Express Type B cards look like XQD Cards, in which case you would need a reader specifically to read those type of Cards. Specifically, the Sony MRW-G1 CFexpress Type B / XQD Reader. Inside that Sony Reader Box there are two cables, a USB-C to USB-C, and a USB-A to USB-C. That's the cable you need.

ScreenShot2023-11-26at3_59_24PM.thumb.png.f57d61a6e423f8cc23bc38f6d8fb5b77.png

You should be able to use the USB-C to USB-A for both readers and your Desktop Computer. For your MacBook, I'd try using the Thunderbolt Ports and see if it shows up. Do you have your MacBook setup correctly? Does the SD Cards show up on the Mac Desktop?

And before I go further down this Rabbit Hole, can you snap a few photos of your Cards that you use with your SmartPhone and post them here? I want to see physically what you have.

The reason is, people will think they have one version of something, but it's something else. Like interchange CFExpress and CF (Compact Flash.) Not trying to insult your intelligence, I'm trying to save us both Time. :)

Would there be a card reader that you would suggest that can take both SD and CF express cards?  And would have 2 cables that I might be able to use one of the cables on my desktop computer?  I will be buying new computer but not until next year.  BTW, the reader will work on my laptop for the SD card.

52 minutes ago, Sam165 said:

Would there be a card reader that you would suggest that can take both SD and CF express cards?  

I found this one: ProGrade Digital CFexpress Type B & UHS-II SDXC Dual-Slot USB 3.2 Gen 2 Card Reader.

Hopefully you will see this before tonight. It's on a Cyber Monday Sale.

52 minutes ago, Sam165 said:

And would have 2 cables that I might be able to use one of the cables on my desktop computer?

Yes. You need a USB-A to USB-C Cable for your computer. Such as this one: Monoprice AtlasFlex USB 2.0 Type-C to Type-A Kevlar-Reinforced Nylon-Braid Cable (1.5', Black)I'd use one of the Thunderbolt USB-C Style Ports to use the Reader on your laptop. (Use the USB-C Cable that comes with the Reader.)

Both links are to B&H, so it's easy to add both to the cart.