True Tone On or Off?

Lynne

I was comparing settings with a friend and her True Tone was Off and mine was set to On.  When I turned it off, it seemed to make my screen bluer.  In reading, someone said it didn't affect editing apps so I checked an image in PS but couldn't tell the difference.  Just curious your thoughts on whether True Tone is better On or Off.  Or if it even makes a difference.

Thanks

Also, turn off auto-brightness, etc. Your screen WILL BE BLUER / run on the cool side because you are not calibrated. Mac Screens are on the cool side by default. You need to purchase a Calibration Device, I recommend this one, and get a set of Test Prints to compare your screen to. You just don't calibrate and call it good, it doesn't work that way. We need to not only check colors, but also the brightness of the prints against your screen as Mac Screens tend to be really bright.

I only recommend using 2-3 ticks from the Left for Brightness when it comes to Macs. If you are somewhere in the middle, your screen is too bright and your prints will come out dark.

• Like 1

I knew there'd be an answer to this here :-).  I've just bought a new Studio Display and Mac Mini and am in the process of setting everything up and getting it calibrated.  True Tone was set to On, as was auto brightness.

The preset is set to Apple Display.  Having a quick look through the options, there is one called "Photography"...does the preset make a difference?

I would choose "Standard" or something along those lines. You want to get calibrated. Yes, even "if you have a Mac..." and use the profile that the Calibration Device creates and ignore what Apple gives you.

• Like 1