Calibration -i1 Display PRO

Hi Brian,

I calibrate my DELL U2419H screen, usually monthly.  I have just started running two screens & haven't calibrated anything for a while.  I have plugged it in this morning & followed Damien's instructions for i1 DISPLAY PRO & looked like it will not turn on.  I have tried multiple USB ports, but no luck.

My question is, if I needed to replace it, is this brand still a good one to go for?  Or is there better out there now?

I have attached a screenshot of the error message to show you. And have tried restarting my computer with it plugged in, but no luck.

image.thumb.png.b288d7c6b9f6e54205d3e2c22b3403bc.png

Well, the bad news is, your calibration device has been orphaned by the manufacturer. There doesn't seem to be any updates software-wise and if the device is truly dead, now is the time to get a new one. It is possible that some sort of update could have been pushed through and your device doesn't like it, or it could have just died. Things happen.

This Calibrator, Calibrite Display Plus HL (CCDIS3PLHL) should be the modern equivalent to what you have and is on my short list.

The i1Display Pro is from the Spyder 3 & Spyder 4 era, two other Calibrators that are no longer in use (or supported) with today's screens. I think that Calibrator was originally released around 2011? 2010? Something like that. It was "current" up until around 2014...and that's 10 years ago. I'd say you have had a good run.

Awesome, thank you.  I un-fortunately purchased it a few years ago (it doesn't feel that old)

Although I should be good for a few years now with a new one 😉

Only a few years? Bummer.

Keep in mind, whenever you see a Calibrator "On Sale," it means it's being discontinued, or a newer model is about to be released and they are clearing out stock. Lots of folks have developed a habit of buying things "On Sale," I am one of them, but when it comes to Calibrators, it's often the worst time to buy that particular model.

Thank you, I am just looking online for one now.

What is the difference between these two?

https://www.progear.co.nz/cameras/colour-calibration-calibrite-colorchecker-display-plus/30237

https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Calibrite-Display-Plus-HL-Colourimeter?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvtzt9d-4hAMV46NmAh2ahwuwEAQYASABEgJni_D_BwE

I have a White LED Dell Ultrasharp screen, just checking I purchase the right one.

The amount of features and the amount of colors it sees. While a lower cost model, (and I get why you’d want to save money,) would work fine for your current 2019 display, it may not work well, if at all, with a future display panel type. Here is a video explaining the differences:

The DisplayPlus HL has more features than the basic one, is on par with your old calibration device, but isn’t way overkill like the Calibrite HD model. These round of calibration devices are current, not like the nearly 8 year old tech of your old Calibrator when you bought it. 

Thank you Brian, this is exactly the info I wanted to know.  I'm happy to go with the more expensive one.

Is DELL still your pick for monitors?  I'm guessing technology moves quite fast with this.

Dell screens have been our "Go To's" for years. They seem to calibrate well, which is a plus. Inflation though, has jacked up the costs across the board. Yesterday's $350 Dell is closer to $500 these days. :/ Of course, you are in NZ like our Admin Kim...so your prices are even more jacked up.