Old PC - looking at backup storage advice

Hi Brian,

My current setup is an Intel i5 2.8GHz, 8 GB RAM, 930 GB HDD, Win10 Home. I think I bought it around 2017 IIRC.. yeah.... it's old. Knock on wood, the HDD is still spinning trouble-free but I know its days are numbered.

I've been looking at this SanDisk 1TB SSD (https://amzn.to/3UVfs3q) for a storage solution. Here are a few questions for you:

1. If I copy my PC photos to the SSD, can I access the files on a MacBook Air?

2. Since my PC is dated, would the MacBook Air (with my external monitor) be a viable working solution? I know this is a PC forum but my main machine is PC, that's why I chose this forum.

3. There's a possibility I might get an Apple Mac Mini and use the external SSD. Same question as #1, will I be able to work with the files that came off the PC?

4. Piggybacking off #3: can an external SSD be used as the "working" drive while editing (PC or Mac)?

Thank you for any and all help!  🙏

image.thumb.png.421ded77d898a0d2edb0a8cfc11a6636.png

image.png.9f88eb8ffc9e18d96490561baf084e90.png

Apple makes things very easy to switch from a Windows Computer to a Mac. By default, a Mac Computer/Laptop will READ a Windows EHD without issue, it just WILL NOT WRITE TO A WINDOWS DRIVE. This is done on purpose. So copying all of your files to a External HD, formatted with a NTFS Partition, will read perfectly fine. So when you purchase that SanDisk 1TB EHD, I have that same model...well it's about a year or so old by now, so hit me up when you get it in your hands. I want to make sure the Partition is setup properly, and it's formatted correctly BEFORE you do things with your new Mac.

On 2/27/2024 at 3:24 PM, Miguel said:

Since my PC is dated, would the MacBook Air (with my external monitor) be a viable working solution?

"Meh."

I will bet you are looking to save money, by thinking you can get away with a Non-Macintosh Display and purchasing a low-cost MacBook Air. Sorry to be the one to break the news to you, it's not going to happen. Apple is expensive, and they always have been. Since the release of the M1 line of Macs, and now the M2 & M3...Apple decided to change the video signal coming out of the HDMI port, which makes any Non-Mac Display look like crap. Yes, this is done on purpose. So if you were thinking about buying a Macbook Air, then buying a $500-ish IPS Display...SAVE YOUR MONEY, because your are going to waste it. Seriously...send it to me and I will put it to good use if you like throwing money away. :D The only display that looks good on a Mac computer, is the stupidly over-priced Apple Studio Display at $1600...and that's just for the friggin' display!! IF you want to switch to a Mac for Photo Editing, start saving because your budget should be around $4600 for a Mac, Desktop OR Laptop. Yep, more than four-thousand dollars!! 

Give this article a read for the particulars, and read it the whole way down: Buying a Mac in 2024

I know its days are numbered.

Oh Yeah!!! I'm surprised Photoshop is functioning at all, you must be on a older version.

There's a possibility I might get an Apple Mac Mini and use the external SSD. Same question as #1, will I be able to work with the files that came off the PC?

4. Piggybacking off #3: can an external SSD be used as the "working" drive while editing (PC or Mac)?

Pick a format, MAC --> OR <-- WINDOWS!

When you go-back-and-forth between the two worlds, it just makes things messy. Apple wants you to switch and leave Windows behind. If you do decide to work between the MacOS and Windows, you will need translation software installed on one of the computers, and I can tell you while it works, most of the time, it is by no means bullet-proof. It is also a software that will need to be updated on a normal basis; it's not the type of software that you buy once and then run it. Each time your Operating System has an update, make sure that this "Translation Software" is up-to-date. As soon as the program gets out of sync with the macOS, bad things happen and data gets garbled or lost.

But as I stated above, you can easily switch to a Mac without worry. It's just when you want to take a file from a Mac and then use it on a Windows machine is when you need to be on top of things and have the right software installed to act as a translator.

OK, now for the next part...

So at this point, you are probably wondering what the heck are you going to do? I can say this, I agree...the first step is buying that 1TB EHD. It will make transferring your images to a new computer MUCH easier. Now, if you want to go with a Mac, that's fine. I have a iMac, though mine's days are numbered too; I just have a lot better things to spend my money on first, rather than forking out $4600 for a new Mac. If you want to stick with Windows and really want to get something nice, I'd recommend a realistic budget of $2500 for a computer and IPS 27" Display. Sure, there are deals and coupon codes out there to lower the cost, but ideally...you should set your sights on a $2500 price-point. Which is the "$999 Special" back in 1990. 

I usually recommend going with a Dell XPS Computer, paired with a decent display. Here is one that I have been recommending lately:

Dell XPS Desktop - $1998.99

Here are the particulars:

ScreenShot2024-02-28at7_46_17PM.thumb.png.cd186edf0730584bfdbd4d6536c25c87.png

The only change I would make is to upgrade the Warranty to the 3 Year Plan in the middle column, which is going for the price of the two-year plan:

ScreenShot2024-02-28at7_46_29PM.thumb.png.56c3d1b0136cd8731f88b8ff68b002e2.png

You can pair it with this Dell Ultrasharp Display: Dell 27 Monitor - P2723D - $343.99

So for a combined price of $2342.98, plus applicable Taxes and Shipping Fees, puts it around the $2500-$2600 price-point.

• Like 1