CF express card

Hi Brian,  I have CF express type b card (San Disk 128 GB) that when I put it in the ProGrade card reader, gets hot pretty quickly.  I notice it when I take it out.  Anything I should worry about.  I am thinking I should have another card on hand - it is my only one.  Any card in particular that you recommend?

Also, I am holding off on getting a new computer until later this year.  Is there anything new about buying a computer that you haven't said in the Jan-Apr. note that you made or will you be making an update?

As usual, thanks a million!

6 hours ago, Sam165 said:

Also, I am holding off on getting a new computer until later this year.  Is there anything new about buying a computer that you haven't said in the Jan-Apr. note that you made or will you be making an update?

If you are staying with Mac, the next round of updates should apply to the Macbooks and Mac Minis, and they will have M4 Chips. Other computers, like the Mac Studio, will likely see an update to M4 in 2025, possibly late 2025. At least that's what the rumors have stated. So keep saving and make a educated decision this coming October. I do not see any major upgrades for computers and such for June; likely it's just iPad Updates and the MacBook Air line.

6 hours ago, Sam165 said:

I have CF express type b card (San Disk 128 GB) that when I put it in the ProGrade card reader, gets hot pretty quickly.  

Yep.

This is a very common issue and Sandisk seems to be one of the hottest in the market, temperature-wise. The faster something runs, the more heat it generates. With the bandwidth that CFExpress has, it's no wonder things get a little toasty. I have seen some CFExpress Readers that are mostly made out of Metal, which helps with heat dissipation. But honestly? I'd try a Delkin CFExpress or a Prograde CFExpress card next. They seem to run cooler. Also, do not let the card sit in your reader when not in use and use a USB-C Cable hooked up to your Thunderbolt Port to do data transfers.

Thanks so much Brian.  Huge help.  I'll hold off until October and hope you don't mind but will contact you then and see what I should get.  I don't see my computer lasting until next April :(

You will never win the "Catch Up" Game, unless you have the money sitting in your bank account, ready to go...at all times.

I will say this, if your computer is on its last legs, go ahead and purchase a M3 Mac Studio. I guarantee you that M3 Studio will be light-years faster than what you currently have. In addition, since we are being forced to purchase the Apple Studio Display, you can always upgrade the computer at a later time and keep the display! 

The nice part with Apple, is the prices stay the same year-after-year. Sure there are minor adjustments, but by-in-large...prices are consistent. So a new Mac will set you back about $4600 this year...or in 2025. If you haven't already, give this article a read. The Mac Studio that I've configured has a lot of life in it, at least for the next 7 years or so. Remember, folks in this group tend to use Photoshop and even though it's getting more bloated and AI-based, it's still Photoshop.

Hi Brian.  I have read your article on the Mac Studio.  You said you would get the M2 chip, 12 core CPU,  38 core GPU, 16 core neural engine.  Why is this?  Also, above you mentioned M3 Studio to me.  When I look at Mac Studio it says M2.  I'm a little confused.  Thanks.

The M3 Studio hasn't been released yet. In fact, Apple just announced the M4 Chip for iPads and such, so for all I know, the "new" Mac Studio could have a M4 chip in it in 2025 or 2026, or whenever Apple decides to upgrade the Mac Studio. They might skip the M3 chip in the Studio altogether, but who knows?

In my buying a Mac in 2024 Article, I configure a Mac Mini and upgrade A LOT of things, or I take the base Mac Studio and tweak a few things. When you compare the costs between a tricked-out Mac-Mini and a base Mac Studio, the Mac Studio is roughly $50 more and you get the following:

1. The slightly better M2 Max Chip, which has more CPU Cores (12 vs 10) and more GPU Cores (30 vs 16.) The Neural Cores are the same, both have 16 Core Neural Engines each. What is so important about the Neural Engines? AI Technology uses Neural Engines, so as we progress with AI over the years, this part of the CPU Chip will become more important.

2. Support for up to FIVE external displays.

3. 10Gb Ethernet vs 1Gb Ethernet

4. Two additional USB-C Ports & one SDXC Slot (Located on the front.)

5. Better cooling fan and airflow. Heat is the enemy of electronics. The cooler the electronics, in this case the M2 Max Chip, the better it performs.

The downside to a Mac Studio over a Mac Mini? The Studio is physically larger in terms of height. So you might have to fiddle with its placement on your desk. That's it. For another $43, you are getting a WAY better computer. Plus, the M2 Max Chip with more GPU Cores will handle Photoshop CC 2024 with two Apple Studio Displays better. The downside? is you are purchasing two $1600 displays, which add to the cost.

The M2 Max Chip with a 12 Core CPU, 38GPU and 16 Neural Engine is MORE THAN FINE FOR PHOTOSHOP. The Mac Mini has a M2 Pro Chip, which is slightly less robust than the M2 Max Chip. Why not start with the M2 Ultra? Because it starts out at $4000 f-ing dollars!!   That's why. :D  And Photoshop won't take advantage of what makes a M2 Ultra Chip fast, so it's kinda a waste of money. In fact, years ago there was only about a 5-7% performance boost with a Intel i7 over a Intel i5. Even though the i7 was a "Better / Faster" CPU Chip, Photoshop wasn't programmed to take advantage of the Architecture that made a i7 so fast. Same rules apply here. My Mac Studio config with a M2 Max chip is overkill as it is for Photoshop, no need to spend / waste the extra $2000. Even though my configurations are a bit on the high side, I try to keep things economical for the majority. 

Ok.  I am looking at buying a Mac Studio.  My present computer is giving me grief and I am not updated with ps.  So....should I get 64 GB or leave it at 32 GB?

If you can afford 64GB, do so. With the current Macs, they are known as "System on a Chip." Which means things like RAM, the CPU Speed, the Graphics Processor and HD controller are all built into a single chip. There is no upgrading after the fact. Basically, Mac Computers are like glorified iPads and if you want "more" of something in a few years, you are buying a whole new computer. Apple forces you to purchase any upgrades you might like, at the time of purchase.

So make sure you get at least 64GB of RAM AND a 1TB Main HD.