Jump to content

Printing size help!


Recommended Posts

I have read your articles about size for printing etc. I am so lost! I read, when you sell the digitals ( I know you suggest not to) that you should use the crop too; in PS and change it to 15 w x11h.  This will ensure that the clients can print the size they wish correct? You have to do that "crop" for every photo correct? There is no automatic way?

I "save as" a PSD file, then I "save as" a JPEG file that I use for social media and to release to the clients.  Is this the correct way to save? It isn't "export as"?

Now I went to order from my printing company and I was loading what I wanted in the size I wanted (4x6) and I notice on some of them it is cropping the photo? What am I doing wrong? I called the printing company and she wanted me to check my image size and then she rudely went off on me. Didn't learn a thing.

What is the way to go about reloading the photos back into PS to change to 15x11?

The first pic is from printing company how it cropped when I chose 4x6

Second Is the one with the 11w x 15 h crop

Third is 15w x 11h ( why is this like this when I believe you said it didn't matter what the numbers were?

Forth is showing the actual photo and what was cropped outside of the blue box.

Thank you!

 

 

Capture5.JPG

Capture da.JPG

Capture da2.JPG

14914906_1332343210111628_771888615_n[1].jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kathy1965 said:

I have read your articles about size for printing etc. I am so lost! I read, when you sell the digitals ( I know you suggest not to) that you should use the crop too; in PS and change it to 15 w x11h.  This will ensure that the clients can print the size they wish correct?

Correct.

3 hours ago, kathy1965 said:

You have to do that "crop" for every photo correct? There is no automatic way?

Correct.  There is no automatic way.  Have you seen this?

3 hours ago, kathy1965 said:

I "save as" a PSD file, then I "save as" a JPEG file that I use for social media and to release to the clients.  Is this the correct way to save? It isn't "export as"?

As long as you end up with jpeg files, it doesn't matter how you got 'em.

3 hours ago, kathy1965 said:

Now I went to order from my printing company and I was loading what I wanted in the size I wanted (4x6) and I notice on some of them it is cropping the photo? What am I doing wrong?

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 11:15 principle is ONLY for files you're selling to clients.

When you are printing them yourself, you crop to the EXACT size and resolution they need to be.

http://www.damiensymonds.net/2011/09/cropping-tutorial.html

http://www.damiensymonds.net/trainingsharp.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Thank u for explaining. Makes more sense.

 

So let me get this straight:

So I want to send in some clients photos to test colors (I have been having issues with that), so if I "save as" in jpeg BUT I want to print their photos to a specfic size (4x6). If that is something I am going to do, I have to save on JPEG every specfic size I want to print? 

Do I use the same JPEG and change sizes or the PSD file everytime? 

Where do I find the resolution on output?

I appreicate your help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The lab (or their website) will tell you their advised resolution.  Most labs use 300, but always check, because some differ.

Once you have that number, then yes, you crop each print file to the exact size you need, at that exact resolution.  Then sharpen it, then save it as a jpeg, ready to send to the lab.

No, you can never use one file for different sizes of prints.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...