Old iMac enough?

Hey Brian,

I will be getting discounted iMac (cheap) from work. It is a 2017 model with an i5-7500) 3.4 GHz. I plan on (hopefuly be able) to install an SSD and max out the RAM. Would that be sufficient to run LR and Ps somewhat smoothly? LOL

If not, with that being said, could I still use that iMac as a display without going the AirPlay route?

Thanks!

On 5/15/2024 at 2:40 AM, Gera said:

Would that be sufficient to run LR and Ps somewhat smoothly? LOL

No.

My 2017 27" iMac, with 64GB RAM, a upgraded i7 CPU, 1TB SSD and the upgraded Video Card that has double the Video Memory...

Is barely keeping up with Photoshop 24. It was a mistake going past PS 22.

I also will not upgrade past Big Sur.

Photoshop has become such a BEAST with all the stupid AI and Bloatware, you need a current machine to run it. Not something from 2017. Yes, I'm sure it's "Affordable." Don't waste your money, you are throwing it away. In fact, send it my way if you want to get that money off your hands, I take donations.

Bottom Line: Keep Saving. Yes, I know it sucks. But with the upgrade cycles of PS CC, we will be on PS Version 27 before you know it.

On 5/15/2024 at 2:40 AM, Gera said:

could I still use that iMac as a display without going the AirPlay route?

Yes, I think it's done via the Thunderbolt Port? I've never done something like that, you'd have to Google it.

5 hours ago, Brian said:

Yes, I think it's done via the Thunderbolt Port? I've never done something like that, you'd have to Google it.

Looks like it may be a pain. Considering it will just be about $120, I'll keep it and mess with it. I may even overcome the fear of opening it up and upgrade it. Maybe a nice "media display" for the patio 😄

Thanks!

On 5/18/2024 at 3:49 AM, Gera said:

I may even overcome the fear of opening it up and upgrade it.

Please watch some YouTube Tutorials BEFORE taking ANYTHING apart.  There are kits that help you with disassembly, and things you need to know prior to taking out the screen. A 27" iMac is not like a regular computer; the only thing that's accessible is the RAM upgrade. Anything else, like the HD...and you are taking the damn thing apart and it's VERY easy to crack the screen. Oh, you will also need special glue strips to mount the screen back, hence the need for a kit.

Personally, I wouldn't take my iMac apart and I've been a computer tech for 31 years. Too much of a Pain-in-the-Ass for my taste.

Good Luck!